Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lack of anodizing in certain spots

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Lack of anodizing in certain spots

About to build out an LMT lower. It appears the anodizing is "missing" in the holes for the bolt catch spring and buffer retainer.

Steel spring, "unanodized" aluminum, galvanic corrosion, etc. A valid concern? Is there anything I can prep the bare surfaces with to eliminate any potential issues?
    Shooter like Kukoč

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Get it replaced if you purchased new not blemished. No reason to accept that.

Brownells had/has discounted LMT upper receivers for a while as Blems, because anodizing was missing from the takedown pin holes, if I recall correctly.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Get it replaced if you purchased new not blemished. No reason to accept that.

Brownells had/has discounted LMT upper receivers for a while as Blems, because anodizing was missing from the takedown pin holes, if I recall correctly.
    True; you're right.

At the same time, I could care less especially since those spots wouldn't be visible with the parts installed. I am just unsure if could lead to potential issues in the future.

Sent LMT a message inquiring via their website; we'll see if they respond.

With they said, there are some smart, knowledgeable people on this forum. If one comes along and says it's a non-issue, I'll build it out and not give it another thought.
    Shooter like Kukoč

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals is a problem when an electrolyte such as water is present. Oil is not an electrolyte, and hopefully you don't store it outside in the elements. Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Agreed. I wouldn't think a thing of it. Add some moly grease for extra insurance if you like.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What Mark said. When ya lube the buffer tube and spring with spray-on white moly grease, lead a tiny overspray to the retainer pin and spring. That'll keep those galvanic forces at bay. It also helps a wee little bit with the "skee-wonk!" spring noise when ya shoot supressed, for a hundred bucks less than a captured spring.

Feedback Score
    Is the anodizing missing? Or, just the black dye?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by phixion View Post
    About to build out an LMT lower. It appears the anodizing is "missing" in the holes for the bolt catch spring and buffer retainer.

Steel spring, "unanodized" aluminum, galvanic corrosion, etc. A valid concern? Is there anything I can prep the bare surfaces with to eliminate any potential issues?
    I might be in the minority, but for such a non-critical areas I would personally just spray it (or Q-tip) with ALUMA-HYDE and move on. LMT has an excellent customer service and will replace it if you want to go that route. Maybe they have some recommendations on a home-fix. I would be interested in learning about it from the manufacturer.
    Last edited by alx01; 09-07-19 at 15:32.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Is the anodizing missing? Or, just the black dye?
    I was wondering the same thing. Does LMT Anodize or Ceracoat their receivers?

If the lower was anodized after the holes were drilled I would think it unlikely those surfaces were missed by the plating process. More likely they just didn't receive enough dye between anodizing and sealing for the color to set.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 09-07-19 at 22:37.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies.

I attempted to take some photos of the areas in question: https://imgur.com/a/XHkPVbo

I'm completely ignorant on the anodizing process, so I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at. The "black color" reaches a certain point, then it appears white/chalky (aluminum oxide?) and then at the very base of the hole, it appears to be silver. It very well may be a lack of dye as some are suggesting; most likely.

Again, as I understood it, steel spring, aluminum receiver, dissimilar metals, possible corrosion, etc. I just decided to pose the question before proceeding.

As others suggested, I'll likely just put some moly grease in those spots, install the parts and not give it a second thought. I figure once the parts are installed, they should be sealed fairly well from any moisture.
    Last edited by phixion; 09-08-19 at 09:48.
    Shooter like Kukoč

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast