Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP 2 for IWB CC

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Ruger LCP 2 for IWB CC

I have had a S&W Shield for 5 years. I carry it from time to time IWB. Usually it stays concealed in my vehicle though. I've got a drawer full of holsters and all that. I've tried the softest holsters, the lightest, the thinnest, you name it. I have a couple holsters that I can wear comfortably while standing and walking around all day. But getting in and out of the car, sitting down at a restaurant, or doing anything remotely physical is annoying. I just cannot get comfortable even after days of struggling trying to make myself get used to it.
    (FWIW When I'm out in the hills I open carry a G19 in an OWB Safariland holster and love it.)

I want to try a smaller pistol for IWB EDCC. I have a Ruger LCP that my wife carries. I carried that one day and it fits the bill for me being so small and LIGHT.! I think a pocket gun on my hip will be my compromise to have a CCW rather than nothing at all in the name of comfort. However I want to get myself a LCP 2. It is a tad larger and looks like it will handle better than the original LCP.

Reason I want to go with the LCP 2 over a glock 42, or 43 for that matter, is because I don't want to be disappointed again with what feels to me like a bulky and heavy gun for IWB carry. I had it explained to me when comparing the Shield size and weight to the Glock 43; " if you cannot conceal one, you won't be able to conceal the other." I feel this train of though carries over to the 42 as well. If I couldn't comfortably carry the Shield or 43, then I'll have trouble with the 42 as well since it is close to the same specs.

The LCP 2 has great reviews. My LCP has been flawless every time I put a few boxes through it at the ranch. I realize the LCP 2 is in fact a pocket gun. I can carry it in a pocket, but I usually have a phone, keys, pocket knife, sometime a flashlight and whatnot and I don't want a gun in my pocket. I want to EDC IWB a LCP 2.

Does anyone else have experience with carrying a Ruger LCP-2 IWB daily?
    Last edited by matemike; 09-09-19 at 21:55.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Not an LCP, but I carried a P3AT, and then switched to a P32, IWB, for many years. Strong side, underneath a belt pliers holder for a lot of that time. It works well, nothing says they must be a pocket gun. Find a holster that fits your need, and rock it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I carry the Shield when I can't carry my full size M&P9. Buy baggy bdu cargo style pants and it'll disappear in a pocket. Dress for success.

Only time I carry my LCP is for athletic stuff.

Feedback Score
    First, I'd ask if you are using a dedicated gun belt, because if you are not - try one. A well constructed gun belt is not just a heavy leather fashion belt, has torsional rigidity, and helps spread the weight out. When I started carrying concealed I didn't think a belt would make a difference, but now I know better. I'd rather have a very good belt and an average holster than a whiz bang custom holster and an average leather belt.

Second, why do you feel compelled to stick with an IWB for concealment, especially in a fairly gun friendly state? Given an IWB aids in concealment, there are some tight riding OWBs that work very well and will conceal under most clothes, maybe not a t-shirt, but certainly a bloused over-shirt.

As for the gun itself - easier to shoot "well" (it's all relative) than an LCP I and should be reliable enough, but it's a bad-breath range instrument of minimal ballistic capability. While it beats no gun at all, but how much work are you willing to leave on the table because you are really trying to maximize comfort? A Clint Smithism is that a pistol is to be comforting, not comfortable. I find a 5-shot revolver or Shield/G43 is as small as I care to go so I can retain some level of accuracy greater than minute-of-man. YMMV.

Software is more important than hardware, so whatever you land on, at least you are meeting the first rule of a gunfight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What is uncomfortable? Where do you carry it?

I was going to mention the belt like the previous poster but also pants!

Belts do wonders. But if you're using pants that fit and stay without a belt they'll probably be too tight when something is shoved in the waist. I buy belt and jeans one waist size larger. They will stay up without a belt but I couldn't walk around without holding them up. That adds about an inch or so for whatever gun/holster you're using. If I can't carry all I do is tighten the belt by one hole.

I also found that holsters play a big role. I'm more comfortable with a hybrid type with two clips spread out and not next to each other or just one big one. This allows the weight to be spread out more. If you're the type to be taking it on and off all day it is a bit of a pain on the ass.

The most comfortable spot I found was right behind the hip around the 8 o'clock position. For you right handed people that would be around the 4 o'clock position.

I carry a G19 every day, all day, winter, summer, cold, sweltering heat, rain, physical activity...etc. I don't even know it's there and often forget I even have a gun. The only time it becomes an issue is when laying down on your back to do something. Like if you're crawling under your car or under your dashboard.

As far as the LCP goes. I have the 1st Gen Ruger custom shop or whatever they call it. It has a slightly better trigger (marginally), and real sights instead of the revolver style rear notch and front ramp. It is for pocket carry when absolutely necessary. Usually for formal wear. The gun shoots fine and has been reliable but it's not something I put a ton of ammo through. It is snappy and becomes unpleasant after a few mags.

The LCP is so small I'm not sure how it would work in an IWB holster.
    Last edited by Arik; 09-10-19 at 07:30.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wish you luck. I have no suggestions, as IWB behind the hip simply does not work for me. I either carry AIWB, OWB, or (rarely) in a pocket. I've tried just about every variety of holster out there in every type of material, but there's something about having a gun under my belt back there for more than a couple of hours that drives me absolutely insane.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I don't understand wanting to carry what is essentially a pocket pistol anywhere other than the pocket.

I don't understand how something as small as a Shield could possibly be uncomfortable to carry, unless you're doing so with poorly designed belts and/or holsters.

I don't think that you're going to find carrying an LCP IWB any more comfortable than an M&P Shield.

If you cannot carry the Shield comfortably IWB and you are using a good quality holster and belt, I would try carrying the Shield OWB with a good quality belt and holster.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What I don't think several of you folks are factoring into your suggestions is that not everyone is built the same, so what works for one person may not work for another.

After reading several of these threads I've come to the conclusion that there are enough members that collectively we have experience with just about every holster and belt system you can imagine. What is generally missing is a good idea of the person asking for advice's build. This is a long roundabout way of saying maybe some pictures of the person's waist area would help.

As far as the merits of the LCP's, I have an LCP that I routinely pocket carry. I also shoot it fairly often because it is pretty much what I carry. For some reason I also like shooting it, largely because I shoot it well. The sights are okay for what the pistol is made for. The trigger is not the greatest, but I grew up as a shooter using DA revolvers, so it is manageable.

I use the 100gr Sig Elite for carry.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 09-10-19 at 14:48.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies thus far.
    I’m appreciate some of y’alls concern about me carrying a “pocket pistol” on my hip. But it’s about my last option I feel. I started this thread 6 years ago and have still not reached a conclusion with any of my compacts or sub compacts in any type of holster I can find.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...CCW&highlight=

So I’m going to pursue a pocket pistol for myself since my wife’s LCP pistol rides my hip well and I actually carry it; on hip and in pocket. That being said I want my own LCP 2 or Bodyguard. Both have a tiny bit more heft and size than the LCP. Not much, but it’s side by side noticeable. Just about every manufacturer makes a left side iwb holster for either BG or LCP2.

The bodyguard has entered my list after I handled one today at Academy. Really like it’s feel, the finger grove accommodates my hand well. Also, more importantly, I can manipulate the slide and mag releases easily with my left hand. I have to use two hands to manipulate the controls on either of the LCP’s. The BG also has a SS slide and barrel which is preferred because I am around saltwater A LOT. I just have to decide if the extra two ounces and horrible trigger of the S&W will keep me from enjoying to carry it. It’s a gamble for sure.

LCP 2
    or
    Bodyguard 380 for about $40 more and I’ll want to improve trigger then add night sights.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Buy the LCP2 and don't look back. You will be pleased with it! It is a significant improvement over the original LCP. I have carried one on occasion iwb and it's fine. I carry it more often as pocket carry in a Desantis Nemesis holster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast