Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MRO parallax remedy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

MRO parallax remedy

Trying real hard to like the trijicon MRO. But my astigmatism forces me to use the rear back up sight with the red dot. Unfortunately, this causes a 6 inch parallax shift at 100 yards. I have considered switching the 1/3 lower mount for an absolute cowitness mount. Part of me thinks that this will work, part of me also says quit on the MRO and get a different optic. Perhaps a lpvo that will agree with my astigmatism better. This is currently mounted on a Colt 6720. General purpose use carbine for my children....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I experienced the same thing. I ended up going with an Aimpoint T2. Much better in terms of parallax, and the dot is more crisp. I also have the astigmatism-type vision where most red dots starburst and double. The T2 is significantly better for me in that department.

AR15safespace.com was selling the T2s without mount for $535 and I got another vendor that I use to price match that for me. I just checked and now they are $599 without mount, but you can get it with a Reptilia lower 1/3 for $659. You have to add to cart to see those prices.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    So your using the standard height rear sight in combination with a dot that’s not absolute? That makes no sense. The looking through a lower peep hole at a dot that is higher in the window could very well explain why you have a change in POI.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    So your using the standard height rear sight in combination with a dot that’s not absolute? That makes no sense. The looking through a lower peep hole at a dot that is higher in the window could very well explain why you have a change in POI.
    Bingo! That is why I am considering an absolute cowitness. For my other red dot sights that are 1/3 lower cowitness, the astigmatism and parallax shift is a non issue for my eyes. The MRO is a different story...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The MRO is awful for parallax. I bought one and after playing with it for 5 minutes I returned it. Just sitting it on a fence post and looking at a tree 20ft away I could see huge shifts in the dot.

I also have the "astigmatism" that everyone talks about where most red dots look like starbursts or have some level of duplicating dot effect.

I ended up going with an Aimpoint T2 because the parallax issue is much improved, and the dot looks crisp for me which is unheard of in any other red dot ever.

A while back AR15safespace.com was selling T2s for $535. I couldn't get them to return an email so I got Primary Arms to match that price. I just checked them again and now they're $599 without mount once you add to your cart.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Depending on the severity of your astigmatism, a LPVO is the only slam dunk guarantee of no "Dot anomalies".

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    What about something like the Primary Arms 1x20 Prism Scope? It has an adjustable diopter, which might work well with your astigmatism.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Depending on the severity of your astigmatism, a LPVO is the only slam dunk guarantee of no "Dot anomalies".
    Also a slam dunk guarantee for him losing the forgiving eyebox advantage of a RDS. I have been back and forth twice and prefer a squiggly dot over the LPVO on a rifle I might have to engage live targets at reasonable ranges with. A 6" shift at 100 yards means little to me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    Trying real hard to like the trijicon MRO. But my astigmatism forces me to use the rear back up sight with the red dot. Unfortunately, this causes a 6 inch parallax shift at 100 yards. I have considered switching the 1/3 lower mount for an absolute cowitness mount. Part of me thinks that this will work, part of me also says quit on the MRO and get a different optic. Perhaps a lpvo that will agree with my astigmatism better. This is currently mounted on a Colt 6720. General purpose use carbine for my children....
    The absolute cowitness should work. Try that first.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just placed an order for a full witness mount. Should make things better for me to zero the optic. The rifle is for my children. Their younger eyes may have no issue with the MRO. I will stick with my aimpoints.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast