Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Why does everyone want to turn casual people into hardened gunfighters?

That’s a huge turn off.

The OP asked “Hey what’s a good gun suggestion for a guy who isn’t really into guns and just wants something for the house and maybe to hit the range every so often?”

And people are giving loadouts and suggestions to go to Thunder Ranch blah blah blah.

Lol no. An NRA class is actually good advice. He will learn how to load, unload, get a good base line on weapons handling, and feel competent in weapons safety. That is the key. Nobody wants something they think will just go off in their face.

Replace the OP with “I know a guy who wants a car and has never driven. What should he get?” And you wouldn’t say “He needs a Ferrari/Porsche/Mustang Cobra”. A Honda Accord. Duh.

“I know a guy who wants to do light snorkeling. What should he get?”

He needs a Draeger and Nitrox!!! Come on.....

Also lol at being a police because you like guns

If you like listening to people’s sob stories and writing reports all day maybe. Maybe.

A Glock is fine. Maybe a decent AR and a few magazines if he really wants one.

Sheesh
Excellent points, a building-blocks "start with basics and then build out as situation warrants" has usually worked better with normies than trying to go from zero straight to Wyatt Earp in my modest experience--and even Earp himself used to counsel those who sought his secrets to focus on getting the basics right through large amounts of repetition.