Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold Standard for General Purpose Carbine Light?

Feedback Score

Gold Standard for General Purpose Carbine Light?

Hey all, I've been out of the game for a little bit. Last time I checked, the Surefire M600DF was considered the best weapon light on the market. Have there been any major disruptors since its release, like another company putting out a competitor?

Additionally, how does one decide whether to go with lumens or candela, if you don't know the range or the environment that you're going to need the light in?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Modlite and cloud Defensive are newcomers to the market and are making in roads. There is always streamlight.

Candela for throw. Modlite has that market cornered.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Modlite and cloud Defensive are newcomers to the market and are making in roads. There is always streamlight.

Candela for throw. Modlite has that market cornered.
    Yeah I just watched the Sage Dynamics review of the Modlite, but I wasn't entirely clear when you would run that light vs a higher-lumen option like the Surefire. How does one know when they are going to be engaging low-light targets are longer ranges? Doesn't that compromise CQB shooting?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BallisticHarmony View Post
    Yeah I just watched the Sage Dynamics review of the Modlite, but I wasn't entirely clear when you would run that light vs a higher-lumen option like the Surefire. How does one know when they are going to be engaging low-light targets are longer ranges? Doesn't that compromise CQB shooting?
    What do expect your engagement ranges to be? If your plan includes the need to identify and engage at 150-200 yards. You get pid with a scout at 75-100.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    What do expect your engagement ranges to be? If your plan includes the need to identify and engage at 150-200 yards. You get pid with a scout at 75-100.
    My point is there's no way to know until it happens. If the whole point of a general purpose carbine is to be prepared for as many scenarios as possible, I'm just curious how low-light engagement ranges are estimated.

Feedback Score
    I have had an Arisaka 600 sized light with the super throw head on my work gun. I have had no issues or complaints with it. Something to consider if you dont quite have a budget for the modlight stuff. I wish I did.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My point is there's no way to know until it happens. If the whole point of a general purpose carbine is to be prepared for as many scenarios as possible, I'm just curious how low-light engagement ranges are estimated.
    Make an educated decision. Do you live in an urban or rural environment? Half acre home lot or 300 yard driveway? Does your crisis plan involve staying home or bugging out? Narrow it down. There is no free lunch.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Also if you want to be able to use 123 batteries you’re confined to Surefire. Modlite uses rechargeables onky.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Modlite definitely offers some heads with extreme performance, but extreme prices are also involved.

I've got five Arisaka setups, with a wide variety of different heads (from E1T up to E2 Hyper Throw). None
    of them match the performance of a Modlite, but each of them fulfills their assigned roles very well.

Feedback Score
    Not really, mad throw can easily be used to bounce the light around in a room to get good illumination; it's the medium distances where a hard focus on throw can suffer, since the area will be too large to bounce light to get illumination, while not having enough spill to directly illuminate either.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast