Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt to Suspend Civilian sells of AR's

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Still a $hitpot of 6920-OEM1s out there for $705-775.
    Yeah, but that ridiculous CAR handguard and gas system with a 16” barrel...
    I’m not even sure if it functions right.

That’s sarcasm, but I genuinely like my OEM2 and disliked the M4 profile uppers I had. I have pointed a couple people to the deal at AU and am disappointed to see them sold out.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Maybe but Colt doesn't get the scalper prices, what they should be doing is pumping out as many rifles as they can right now. What has really hurt Colt is poor management decisions fed be a dislike of the commercial consumer, and labor agreements that tied them to a high labor cost state.

If Colt wants to make money what they should do is partner with someone like Brownell's supply Colt parts and let them do the assembly. To sweeten the deal start supplying Colt Canada parts also.
    The “unions” are not the reason Colt went bankrupt, nor are they the reason for their BAD decisions today! The “union” saved Colts ass in 2016, and MANAGEMENT is the damn problem, NOT the workers. Idiots According to analysts, Colt’s problems were due to the loss of the contract and low demand for its civilian handguns. In January 2016, Colt announced that the bankruptcy court had approved its restructuring plan. By the way the “union” contract with Colt ran out in March 2019.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    BCM
    Centurion Arms
    Daniel Defense
    KAC
    LMT
    SIONICS
    SOLGW

Something tells me I'll get by.
    The deals on Colts have been amazing though, especially as the only manufacturer proven in combat en masse for the AR-15 platform besides FN. Obviously DD and LMT have supplied uppers or lowers in smaller quantities as well. But the price difference is sometimes as much as $1000.

Feedback Score
    Copy paste from the comments at TAG?

Quote Originally Posted by meausoc View Post
    The “unions” are not the reason Colt went bankrupt, nor are they the reason for their BAD decisions today! The “union” saved Colts ass in 2016, and MANAGEMENT is the damn problem, NOT the workers. Idiots According to analysts, Colt’s problems were due to the loss of the contract and low demand for its civilian handguns. In January 2016, Colt announced that the bankruptcy court had approved its restructuring plan. By the way the “union” contract with Colt ran out in March 2019.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I'm not sure how I can read comments about how they need to be more affordable to compete. The quality cost ratio is damn good. Maybe they are talking DA revolvers or something.

Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    The deals on Colts have been amazing though, especially as the only manufacturer proven in combat en masse for the AR-15 platform besides FN. Obviously DD and LMT have supplied uppers or lowers in smaller quantities as well. But the price difference is sometimes as much as $1000.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sadler View Post
    The LGS isn't the only thing full of shit. Commercial sales have NEVER been COLT's bread and butter. Unless you can back this up with some cold hard proof, STFU and move along quietly.
    Not Colt specific, but US sales since 2001 have been 65% to 70% private with the balance being .gov while prior to 2001 it was 75% to 80% private. That latter 80% private/20% .gov was also listed in a mid to late 1990's Glock annual when there was a massive LE shift from everything else to Glock pistols.

There is no reason to assume those numbers aren't similar for Colt considering the number of US private citizens versus LE/.mil personnel. Further, the extreme discounts extended to the minority clientele are very clear evidence the lowly and maligned private citizen is keeping the lights on at any firearm business that will sell to us.

Feedback Score
    I am waiting to read a PR from Colt directly before I stop buying any Colt products lol.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Colt has rubbed me the wrong way for years with their "we're too good for consumers" attitude. If this latest move is a resurgence of that, then they can go the way of HK... Good riddance! I have zero sympathy for traitors.
    I think in those years Colt's attitude wasn't so much we're too good for consumers so much as it was the military is where we make our money. Like any manufacturer, they focused on that area. Unlike other manufacturers, though, Colt didn't look forward to the time when they would have competition in the market. As a result they allowed their civilian market to decline and almost completely disappear.

In reality all they've really made in the last 50 years are M16's/AR's and 1911's. Into the 70's they had a share of the revolver market, but that dwindled to almost nothing. Instead of coming up with innovative pistol designs when the pistols replaced revolvers as the sidearm of choice in law enforcement and then in the civilian market, Colt said muh, 1911.

Likewise, as the patents ran out of the AR system and folks were free to begin reverse engineering and making them, Colt didn't really compete, they stuck with plain-jane AR's as the rest of the world went to free float rails, enhanced triggers, grips and stocks. Even when they entered the free-float market, several years late, they did so timidly with essentially two offerings.

Colt's story is one of mismanagement, as well as that of a company that was mined for money after being taken over by another entity.

The question you need to ask is what is the big deal if Colt dies? At the present time do they make A product that no other manufacturer offers at better or comparable quality and price? If your example is the 6920, you need to step back and take a look at how many serious shooters run 6920's. My experience is that someone who shoots more than a 1,000 rounds a year isn't doing it with a 6920.

I was saddened when Pontiac went away, but it's passing caused hardly a ripple, same will be the case with Colt.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    So I was just about to SBR a Colt lower. Guess I should put do that now
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Colt to Suspend Civilian sells of AR's

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/co...retail-market/

Anecdotal yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 09-11-19 at 14:44.

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast