Thread: New Colt 6920 owner in California

Feedback Score

New Colt 6920 owner in California

Recently picked up a Colt 6920 Magpul FDE edition. Haven't gotten it to the range yet, but everything looks in order. Also picked up a barely used vortex spitfire 3x to top it. I joined this forum to learn from some of the resident AR experts. I'm an Air Force reserve member and wanted the Colt as it most closely resembles what we train and qualify with (though in my current squadron I'm much more likely to deploy with a M9 as I'm with a medical unit).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Welcome! I own a colt 6920 as well! It's a great first gun!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You made the right choice, OP. The forums are infested with people saying brand x is just as good as Colt, or brand y is better, but they simply don't know what they don't know. I'm not saying Colt is the absolute best, but you have to spend a hell of a lot of money to get anything better, and, still, "better" is on the far side of subjective in that case. It's really hard to significantly improve upon Colt in terms of quality and reliability, so it mostly comes down to cosmetics and fancy doodads.

One critique: I would ditch the Vortex and replace it with an Aimpoint. Any Aimpoint, new or used. The PRO probably represents the best value right now, but you can't go wrong with any of their stuff. If you're using it for home defense, you should also put a light on it. The Surefire scout lights are the best, and pretty widely available on the used market (plus there are dozens of aftermarket mounts that will work with your existing Magpul handguards).

In the future, you'll probably also be tempted to put a rail on it. Don't think it has to be free floating or 15 inches long. The KAC drop in RIS from the old SOPMOD kit is still one of the best around, and they're barely heavier than the standard M4 handguards. They've also been tested by Crane, and they hold zero better than most free floating rails when drop tested, so they're great for mounting lasers to.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stack23 View Post
    Cant go wrong with colt, been around for ever. Proven
    Yep, Colt is KING!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good choice. I hope you didn't pay a premium due to Colt suspending civilian sales.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Good choice. I hope you didn't pay a premium due to Colt suspending civilian sales.
    Nope, I bought it before the announcement

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Congrats buddy, well done. May as well train with it in case you have to pick one up. Good luck.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Welcome! I was an AR15 owner while stationed in California from 08-12, and it's tough to stay compliant out there (so I just never did....).