Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.56 info/opinions

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

5.56 info/opinions

I've always stayed away from 5.56 suppressors as they're still loud but have decided to go ahead and purchase one. What's the best bang for the buck? Money isn't the only issue but I don't really want to spend two grand on a complete Larue upper or something similar. I'm looking at the AAC and Gemtech as that's what I currently own. Should I look at a unit that I can use on 7.62 and 300 BO as well as 5.56 or a dedicated unit? It will go on my SBR which is currently a 12.5 Kino but could change if I was inclined. Whatever I buy will stay on the SBR so 99% of all shooting with it will be suppressed. Thanks in advance.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Many people choose a 762 suppressor as their first one, and that's a logical choice.

It allows one suppressor to meet many rifles and calibers.

The 7.62 suppressors tend to be larger and heavier than 5.56 suppressors for the same dB reduction.

A good comparison example is the Turbo vs Resonator. Same manufacturer, same design and same mount system.

The 556 Turbo is 13.5oz and 6.5"

The 762 Resonator is 16oz and 7.8"

On an 11.5" 5.56 carbine, the smaller Turbo gets 133dB, while the large bore Resonator gets 135dB.

Clearly, there is a trade off in weight, length and sound performance in exchange for 30 cal capability and lower back pressure.

With a dedicated 556 suppressor, you have a lighter, small and less costly option that performs well in that one role.

Options like the Turbo-K are very compelling here.

As you know, suppressors radically change the cycling characteristics of the gun.

The best thing you can do with an SBR is build it from the ground up for 100% dedicated suppressed use and address the gas system from the get go.

The rest of the system, including the BCG, buffer and action spring can be normal mil-spec items.

It can easily be the difference between something you shoot once in a while and the first thing you take to the range.

We offer three different barrel options with either small gas ports or lengthened gas systems specifically for dedicated suppressed applications.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I chose a Turbo K for a similar application. Its still in purgatory, however. But, its light, short, cheap, direct thread, rated to 10.5” and offers decent attenuation according to Silencershop. Also comes with a muzzle device and adapter module you can sell or put on a gaming gun or whatever.

ETA: since you’re willing to change uppers, and plan on full time suppressor use, you might consider cutting down a middy FSB upper to 12.5”, or installing one of Clint’s metering gas tubes in your Kino.
    Last edited by 1168; 09-11-19 at 11:31. Reason: Add

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    i picked a .30 can for future caliber flexibility, to decrease 556 back-pressure, and to keep from getting baffle-strikes should the 556 barrel threading-alignment not be perfect.

Feedback Score
    Need to know budget and priorities.
    I like smaller cans. I run a socom mini556, but the yhm, energetic vox s or k, and dead air stuff all looks good.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Need to know budget and priorities.
    I like smaller cans. I run a socom mini556, but the yhm, energetic vox s or k, and dead air stuff all looks good.
    For the can I'm thinking MSRP 1100-1200, which means 800 to 1000 really. That's not counting the tax, any new or changed upper, or adapters.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Suppressed Nation / Hansohn Brothers has some nice videos on some of the more popular suppressor options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y87pu6wMYE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFkhg6TiTss
    Black River Tactical

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by feraldog View Post
    i picked a .30 can for future caliber flexibility, to decrease 556 back-pressure, and to keep from getting baffle-strikes should the 556 barrel threading-alignment not be perfect.
    That was my thinking as well. I went with a DeadAir can so I can move it from gun to gun using their muzzle devices and QD system. Not the least expensive can out there but with all the NFA hoops it’s not like I will be changing my mind easily. I figured buy once cry once.

Will be ordering another Dear Air can in a week or so.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Rex just released their line of tubeless suppressors using "universal" 1.375"-24 (OMEGA) threading.

Their previous models put up some outstanding dB numbers at the muzzle.

5.6" and 12.1 Oz makes these pretty interesting, especially for $450.

https://www.rexsilentium.com/RIFLE-Silencers-c28138007

Black River Tactical

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If I don't really plan on using it un-suppressed is there any disadvantage to not have an adapter and use direct thread? Do the direct thread models loosen with use much? My other two are for pistols and they are not shot enough to really matter at one outing. I'm not against either method.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast