Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.56 info/opinions

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    If it's just 556 and your not in an existing ecosystem like AAC 51T mounts, it's Surefire everyday and twice on Sunday. 556 cans are loud so the priorities are different. When you get into other calibers and trying to be quiet then it all muddy's a bit. But just 556, its Surefire!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    For the can I'm thinking MSRP 1100-1200, which means 800 to 1000 really. That's not counting the tax, any new or changed upper, or adapters.
    A socom mini is in your price range.
    I believe I got mine for <$900.

Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    If I don't really plan on using it un-suppressed is there any disadvantage to not have an adapter and use direct thread? Do the direct thread models loosen with use much? My other two are for pistols and they are not shot enough to really matter at one outing. I'm not against either method.
    Vox s or k has omega threading, so you can direct thread and have potential to go keymo (or other) in the future.
    Id look hard at it or the DA nomad.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-11-19 at 16:14.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I would go .300 bore on the can. 556 is loud when suppressed. You might as well reduce the back pressure.

Direct thread can and do come loose from time to time. As long as you are mindful of that, you shouldn’t have issues.

If you have the tiniest idea of swapping hosts, I would chose a QD model, simply to avoid having bare muzzles. That’s just my laziness.

This is going to piss folks off, but I’m just as guilty of it as anyone else. Buying a can is a huge investment of time and money. Because of this, many of us get attached to these items into which we have invested so much capital. We will defend these items and promote their virtues (real or imagined) after we have convinced ourselves (or in an effort to) that our purchase wasn’t a dud. What I’m saying is that people will believe hype and buy a can, only to find out it sucks. It might be too loud, too heavy, too gassy, or have a garbage mounting system. Admitting so would be anathema so we tell everyone how awesome the can is to avoid admitting that it sucks.

I said all that to point out that you should get some exposure to different cans if possible, before buying. I have several cans that I hate. Luckily I have some that are great. There was a time when I extolled the (desired, but lacking) virtues of these cans I now admit that I hate. Take advice on the internet with a grain of salt.
    .25 Lorcin w/ comp and red dot AIWB and a 9mm Calico folder as primary

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    I would go .300 bore on the can. 556 is loud when suppressed. You might as well reduce the back pressure.

Direct thread can and do come loose from time to time. As long as you are mindful of that, you shouldn’t have issues.

If you have the tiniest idea of swapping hosts, I would chose a QD model, simply to avoid having bare muzzles. That’s just my laziness.

This is going to piss folks off, but I’m just as guilty of it as anyone else. Buying a can is a huge investment of time and money. Because of this, many of us get attached to these items into which we have invested so much capital. We will defend these items and promote their virtues (real or imagined) after we have convinced ourselves (or in an effort to) that our purchase wasn’t a dud. What I’m saying is that people will believe hype and buy a can, only to find out it sucks. It might be too loud, too heavy, too gassy, or have a garbage mounting system. Admitting so would be anathema so we tell everyone how awesome the can is to avoid admitting that it sucks.

I said all that to point out that you should get some exposure to different cans if possible, before buying. I have several cans that I hate. Luckily I have some that are great. There was a time when I extolled the (desired, but lacking) virtues of these cans I now admit that I hate. Take advice on the internet with a grain of salt.
    Any specific can you would recommend for this application?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Rex just released their line of tubeless suppressors using "universal" 1.375"-24 (OMEGA) threading.

Their previous models put up some outstanding dB numbers at the muzzle.

5.6" and 12.1 Oz makes these pretty interesting, especially for $450.

https://www.rexsilentium.com/RIFLE-Silencers-c28138007

Ok these look really interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    YHM Turbo or Turbo K. They should be available under $400, are light, and reasonably quiet. The K has the advantage of taking other manufacturer's mounts if you're in to that or think you will be.

Spend the rest on ammo.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I'm a big fan of everything Q is doing. Just submitted papers on a Thunder Chicken this week that will sit on a 10.5" Noveske 5.56 until Q releases their couple of 5.56 cans they've been saying are coming, one stainless(eta 2019) and the other similar in construction to the rest of their lineup. But the stainless has been quoted possibly being in the $400-600 range in a Kit Badger video in the past.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Any specific can you would recommend for this application?
    Honestly, just starting with a .300 bore is a step in the right direction. After that, just choose which features are most important. It’s all subjective, but I’ve never heard 556 fired with a can that didn’t hurt my ears without ear pro, regardless of barrel length or can brand. For that reason, a .300 can is not really taking anything away from the suppression dept, in real terms. Dudes lose their minds about a few dB here or there, but if your ear perceived pain, who cares what the meter says? I don’t.

What a .300 can brings to the table is versatility and almost assuredly less back pressure. Eating gas sucks. For those guys who are always drawing a clock around their feet at the range and observing where in each casing lands on the clock face, reduced back pressure will probably make pants feel less roomy. The drawback is that it reduces the number of widgets needed to purchase to tune what time of day their casings land on.

The can that Clint posted looks neat in the .300 variety. The Area419 adapter would be my choice on the can. I have no experience with either but if I wanted a new cheap can that might get a try. I wouldn’t go Surefire unless it was a full sized .300. I think that brand is overhyped, based on what I like in a can. I’m really liking what Dead Air is doing, across the board. I’d consider giving Q a try, those cans seem neat. KAC is my favorite, but exceeds the price ceiling. The SilencerCo Omega is a decent can for the price range too, but I’d go Dead Air over that.
    .25 Lorcin w/ comp and red dot AIWB and a 9mm Calico folder as primary

Feedback Score
    Finally starting to see some more reviews of these. I’ve been very interested since they changed the design.

"A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Getting a little out of price range, but a MAMS + 556QDC is a great combo. I use MAMS + QDC in 556 and 762. Going to pick up one more of each b/c so pleased.
    Last edited by 6933; 09-16-19 at 19:00.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast