Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 5.56 info/opinions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Brings up a Q I have always had and one reason I don't have a can, prices always seemed wildly high for what they are: a metallic cylinder with some metal baffling in it. Seems like they should be a few hundred all day. $ to the gubment, then 1k or more for a metal cylinder that's approx cost of the rifles it's going on has always stuck in my craw. Are the costs due to NFA status? Other? Under "cuz they can"? Am I missing something?
    Its a cylinder with baffles that can withstand tens of thousands of rounds. Some handle extended FA.
    Generally the more you pay- the less poi shift, and more durable.

That translates to material cost and machineing cost. You can make a silencer with decent sound performance for less than $100. It wont last long and poi will suck.

Figure out what you want and find what price-point that brings you to. Yhm newer stuff looks good for general purpose stuff for cheap. I went SF and recommend them if it fits your needs.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    The maxim govt model silencer was $8.50 in 1910.

Adjusted for inflation, it would cost around $235.
    I'd suspect more labor and time was required to make in 1911 too, and $235 would be much more reasonable for a metal tube with the added internals

It's fair to say the current models are a little more high tech and perform better.

Suppressors in the $350-450 range are a relatively good value.
    Prices seem to be going in the direction of something more reasonable at least.

Yes, the tax is criminal.

Buy at the end of the day, you pay to play and suppressors are awesome.
    I will probably bite that proverbial bullet at some point, but still can't bring myself to pay the gubment the "honor" of making my AR quieter.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I will probably bite that proverbial bullet at some point, but still can't bring myself to pay the gubment the "honor" of making my AR quieter.
    Do it now. Once you decide you want one, you’ll still have to wait like 10months, and you’ll wish you did it earlier. YHM Turbo and Turbo K are priced so well, you probably won’t even miss the money. Capitol Armory even offers payment plans, although there is an added fee.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The high price - yeah if you just look at it like $76 worth of materials...... But you have some tight tolerance machining in there with relatively low volumes. You also have some welding & finishing. Lot of labor. It also didn't design, test, improve, itself multiple times to get best performance vs size/weight. Lots of engineering there. Someone like SilencerCo or Dead Air Armament, they're not making anything else, so need good margins. Not like say Sig who could offset a bad year of suppressor sales with good sales somewhere else.

Mine is a form-1, so the design and machining all free (assuming $0 for me as a hobby machinist). 4130 chromemoly tube, 416 stainless caps & baffles, cerakote. Maybe $100 in material. But that's like saying the lathe, mill, measuring tools, Cerakote setup, scarp/cutoffs, etc is all free along with my time.

Anyway, to OP, I'd go with smaller diameter, shorter length, lighter weight. I made mine big & heavy because I wanted excellent sound reduction. Well even "excellent" is "loud AF" for a .223. Don't really want to take more than a couple shots w/o hearing protection. Much better than nothing, but still far from hearing safe. Because I don't like the extra 8" length or all that weight out front, I don't use it much. But will frequently use rimfire, 9mm, 300BLK, etc - but .223 not a good tradeoff. If I had to do over (sadly cannot on a form-1 build) since loud is loud, and a little less loud is still loud, compact would be my thing.
    I can drink a quart of monkey and still stand still...

Feedback Score
    CMV.... Spot on with long is long heavy is ect. ect. I've got a Specwar 7.62 and Omega 300. I really like the Specwar but it is "heavy and long" it's main use now is just on 300 WM and 3006. the Omega 300 is my party one for travel. My "nightstand one is my form 1 on 10.5 SBR. On my F1 I have more cost in stamp than metal of it, I built it not for better performance but knowledge on them. I ended up happy with it's performance. I don't mind shooting it with out ear protection, heavy wall tube n odd baffle stack combination. I've thought about getting a YHM one even, in fact I have got fingerprint cards and other paperwork for 2 more NFA ready to go now, I'm leaning towards doing that and another form 1 in 10mm for 9mm carbine use for other set.
    Last edited by blade_68; 10-15-19 at 11:51. Reason: Trying to fix my grammar ��
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    I have a Surefire Socom RC2. I run it on a 11.5" BCM barrel with an LMT enhanced carrier. I was very surprised by how little blow back there is.

I also have a Q Trash panda and AAC SDN-6. If I had to pick one it would probably be the trash panda. The mounting system is better, but the lack of muzzle device choices kind of sucks.

I have used the SDN-6 on my 9" B&T APC 223. This barrel is too short for the surefire. I was surprised how nice it was. I have not used the Trash Panda on anything but my Honey Badger barrel.

I find the Q mounting system to be a high bred between direct thread and fast attach.
    I put the Q Trash panda on my 5.56 Recce and really loved it. If I could only have "one" rifle suppressor it would be the Q trash Panda

Feedback Score
    I have, and use, a SpecWar556 suppressor for my 5.56 sbr and my 223 bolt gun.
    Yes, they are "loud", but, the round is inherently loud anyway.
    I would guess that the bolt gun runs about 130db suppressed, and the sbr is a bit louder, maybe 135db or so.
    The SpecWar is a tank but balances well and I like it.
    I have used a 30 cal can on them and they suppress well, also, and a 46cal Hybrid with a 556 end cap suppresses very well, it's just a bit large and bulky.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Rex is previewing another new line of cans with more advanced internals called BASE.

The BASE K 224 is 4.75" x 1.75", this is slightly shorter than a direct thread Turbo K

At 11.6oz, this is 1oz heaver than a direct thread Turbo K and 0.2 oz lighter than the 100% titanium Trash Panda.

Meters an average of 133.47dB on 24" 223 bolt action and should be ~136 dB on a 10.5" AR, which is 3-4dB quieter than a Turbo K.

With the unlimited barrel rating, this should pair nicely with our 9" OPTIMUM PDW.

We'll probably pick up one of these as soon as they're available.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    I have enjoyed my YHM TI on 7.62 and 5.56.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345