Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 5.56 info/opinions

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I've got to pick up my Gieselle carbine today so plan on looking at what the store has in stock and seeing what he is selling. I want to get this ordered the paperwork trail started this week. I appreciate the comments as this is not my forte as far as the gun world goes.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I own many AAC cans and were once the gold standard. However, I would choose a more recent production cans. Many good suggestions here already. The Sig SS cans are shorter than their Ti cans but weigh a little more. I tend to prefer the shorter smaller 7.62 can for multi use.

The AAC cans have much more blowback than newer cans. Newer cans are less gassy on average.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a Surefire Socom RC2. I run it on a 11.5" BCM barrel with an LMT enhanced carrier. I was very surprised by how little blow back there is.

I also have a Q Trash panda and AAC SDN-6. If I had to pick one it would probably be the trash panda. The mounting system is better, but the lack of muzzle device choices kind of sucks.

I have used the SDN-6 on my 9" B&T APC 223. This barrel is too short for the surefire. I was surprised how nice it was. I have not used the Trash Panda on anything but my Honey Badger barrel.

I find the Q mounting system to be a high bred between direct thread and fast attach.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a Surefire Socom RC2. I run it on a 11.5" BCM barrel with an LMT enhanced carrier. I was very surprised by how little blow back there is.

I also have a Q Trash panda and AAC SDN-6. If I had to pick one it would probably be the trash panda. The mounting system is better, but the lack of muzzle device choices kind of sucks.

I have used the SDN-6 on my 9" B&T APC 223. This barrel is too short for the surefire. I was surprised how nice it was. I have not used the Trash Panda on anything but my Honey Badger barrel.

I find the Q mounting system to be a high bred between direct thread and fast attach.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I run a 12.5 BCM Kino suppressed. I have a gemtech trek out front and run a rubber city armory adjustable gas key. I just leave the suppressor on this rifle and have a dab of blue loc-tite on the last few threads nearest the barrel shank. This can comes loose without the loc-tite but I got it used from Summit for next to nothing, so no complaints. I think it is a really good set-up. Really cuts the blast and cycles great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    For a first rifle can, it's nice to be able to put it on several things... so QD...but you have to figure out which QD ecosystem you want to live in first.

I still think the longevity of the manufacturer is more important than the DB rating of the suppressor... they can't fix it if they're not around any more.

Also, we are technologically near the limit of what suppressors can do... the main differences between the major players are cost, muzzle thingies, weight, then sound suppression. You can pay a lot, and not receive a proportionally higher level of performance.

Going overbore (308 for use on a 5.56, for example) is a decent idea, so you can use it on more things. You might not be interested in 300 blk now, but if you already have a suppressor for it, it's not a big leap.

Pick a muzzle device, and a major player (manufacturer), and enjoy whatever you bought.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    There's actually three options for suppressor attachment:

1) Direct thread
    2) QD
    3) Universal Mount

Direct thread is usually the lightest, but really limits your options to swap the suppressor around to different rifles or even take it off to store away separately.

QD is nice, allowing you to use it on multiple rifles. The downside is you must buy into both the manufacturer's mount "ecosystem" and their actual suppressor.

1.375" Universal mount can be the best of both worlds. You can choose the QD system (or Direct thread adapter) you like and the suppressor you like separately.

In many ways it is "future proof". Say a new mount system comes out that is the new hotness.

Just get a new adapter and mounts, sell off the old mount system and you're in good to go.

The NFA controlled suppressor stays the same.

Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    If I don't really plan on using it un-suppressed is there any disadvantage to not have an adapter and use direct thread? Do the direct thread models loosen with use much? My other two are for pistols and they are not shot enough to really matter at one outing. I'm not against either method.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Updated post #2 and post #27 with pictures and more info.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I own lots of cans and the best 556 specific can i've found also seems to be the most expensive. The KAC cans have the least back pressure, best mounting system, excellent muzzle devices, and extremely minimal poi shift. I also endorse surefire for a 556 can. I own multiples of both.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I appreciate the advice. I went with a Dead Air Nomad 30 and filled out the paperwork, then added a Turbo K as they are cheap. My dealer treats me right so I thought in for one, why not two.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast