Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AI AE Mark II, whats it worth ?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    I started with customs and picked up an AE Mk III in 2011. Loved it so much I got an AX in 12. AI spoils you. They are a bit of a disadvantage in some of the sports but not at all in a field gun. I did win a few F-Class matches with one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What makes the AI so great? (Not sarcasm) Over say a 700 custom?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Several things.

The triggers rarely fail unless you jack with them. They can handle the elements unlike aftermarket Remington pattern triggers.

The actions remain smooth and function well even when dirty. They are machined such that they have lug contact.

The receivers don’t flex. The actions are glued to the chassis and don’t budge.

Barrels always float.

The safety actually works.

They feed with detachable magazines designed for the gun; unlike many Remington style actions with shoe-horned AI magazines.

The chassis is comfortable and modular.

They are accurate. They are precise.

Just...well everything about them was designed to be a field rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Put it into pistol terms...

a custom 700 being akin to a custom 1911...in that in its true original form it's kinda "meh" but you can pump thousands upon thousands of dollars into it and stretch it into being something it was never supposed to be.

The AI is like a Swiss P210...just made right the first time. And now imagine that Swiss P210 had Glock level capacity and reliability. That's what AI is.

In 11 years of shooting AI's I've had one feeding malfunction...which would take me maybe 1 box worth of ammo to do in my old 40X rig. I can also swap AI barrels in the field on the fly with repeatability. You know what else is cool...I can also swap my bolts out and they will keep headspace. My 2015 AX bolt works in my 2017 AX and vice versa. And back in the day when I ran out of match, I bought up all the 150gr Corelokt 308Win at the local BigR and even that crap held under an 1" in my AI. All in a package that you can treat like shit if you want. Just pay the admission price.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 09-24-19 at 19:23.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Getting an AI is still on my short list.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    OP, regardless if it's MK 2 or MK 3, make sure you buy the folding chassis version as they hold their value better and are easier to move around.
    For me, it's having a purpose designed precision/sniper rifle vs a hunting rifle action that's put in a chassis. As others mentioned, AIs just run. Plus I have a weak spot for buying production rifles that are used by the armed forces.
    I started out with MK 2 in 2012, sold it, got MK 3 in 2017, sold it, and finally got AX308 last year. So far, that's the rifle I enjoy the most.

Feedback Score
    I have an AIAT and have no problem getting comfortable behind the basic chassis, therefore don’t have any need to spend $2000 more for a little adjustment. Basic, bombproof design/construction and will tickle and keep on tickling the fancy...

Feedback Score
    Also, cost comparison for custom build and resale value are a no brainer.
    Youngest son just got a MK3 for $2200 and it’s like a new rifle... Used AI’s, to me, are the best value going, besides a pre-owned LMT...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have an AIAT. I was showing my buddy the barrel detach system and we took the barrel off and put it back on three times that day. All you use is a hex key and hand tighten the barrel. The next day I was at the range and it was still spot on at 1000 yards (actually something like 1012 yards) on a 12 inch plate.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12