Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who Really Made Your AR 15?

Feedback Score
    Here is another guy discussing forging marks on the lower. At one point he seems to confuse forging and casting. Evidently the metal is all the same and what would differentiate one lower from another would be the milling as people stated above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twkcsBpiEeI

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    So no one actually has info, anecdotal or not, that any forge produces better or worse forgings? Asking rhetorically for a friend.

Feedback Score
    Defects are possible from any forge, but I would say that the quality of the forgings are very similar across the industry. If there are stark differences, I've never heard of them. I've typically let the brand reputation (Colt, BCM, etc.) ease my concerns despite certain forge marks.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    So no one actually has info, anecdotal or not, that any forge produces better or worse forgings? Asking rhetorically for a friend.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    That kind of proprietary data usually won't be released publicly; but I'll tell you from experience that I've never audited a forge/mill, machine shop, coater, assembler, fab shop ect that had zero nonconformance reports. Th important thing is that they catch it through inspection and disposition it properly. This includes folks with DOD contracts from everything from .50cal pintle mounts, to Tomahawk cruise missile components, to explosive charges for Sidewinders.

But boy you don't know hot until you're standing next to a furnace at a Texas forge in July...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234