Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mags for AR-9: ASC or Metalform?

Feedback Score
    Since I live in California I'm limited to 10 rds, so I have the ASC.... Initially I had all sorts of issues, but I managed to resolve them all with a sharp knife and a Scotch Brite Pad in a Cordless Drill. The ASC Magazines are Powder Coated Stainless Steel.... So what I did was buff some of the powder coat away from the Feed Lips. This stopped the Bolt Dragging issue and I took the Knife and scraped around the Magazine Catch Hole, that eliminated the Magazine Catch Engagement issue. Since they are Stainless Steel they wont rust with the powder coat missing. I hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    I have a considerable stash of 20s and 30s, most are Metalform. The Colt alloy pinned in adapter is a much more solid arrangement compared to the slip-in adapters.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies.

I now have several hundred rounds through the AR6951 and two Metalform 32s. Flawless feeding.

And I emailed Metalform; the ones with blank floorplates are theirs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by john armond View Post
    The PSA branded 9mm AR mags are manufactured by Metalform with the PSA logo on the base plate (item #504368) . I have several PSA mags and have never had a problem with them. C-Products and the Pro-Mag plastic ones always seemed to have issues. Watch for sales on the PSA ones, when they are actually in stock. I think at one time they were selling for something around $10-12 each if you bought 10 or more.
    +1 to all this. I bought a load of them when they were available for $10 each. I still have plenty that are NIW, but all that I've tried have been 100% in my Colt 9mm SBR and my RRA 9mm SBR. Oddly, I have one plastic Promag and it's been 100% too. BTW, the RRA 9mm SBR was unreliable with the C-Products magazines, but has been 100% with the Metalforms.
    Last edited by Bret; 10-02-19 at 13:56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I now have several hundred rounds through the AR6951 and two Metalform 32s. Flawless feeding.

And I emailed Metalform; the ones with blank floorplates are theirs.
    Seriously consider SBR'ing or bracing your carbine; you'll like it even better. It is one sweetheart of a gun, and on its way to being a unicorn.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    I prefer colt mags. They work. Bolt hold open is 100%. I have maybe 30k through mine.

Feedback Score
    You guys sent me digging thru' my mag stash. I do have some C-products with the plastic followers, which I don't recall being especially problematic, and one ASC 20 that is noticeably shorter than the other 20s; the remainder are Colt or presumably Metalform.
    I may just move the plastic follower ones along at the next gunshow.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    I love my ASC mags. I mean if you really want to spend the money you can buy the IWI mags for the 9mm tavor. Exact same mag with a different logo on the end plate. People seem to love the IWI but hate ASC I don't get it. Here are my ASC mags working wonderfully.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by .223Pound View Post
    I love my ASC mags. I mean if you really want to spend the money you can buy the IWI mags for the 9mm tavor. Exact same mag with a different logo on the end plate. People seem to love the IWI but hate ASC I don't get it. Here are my ASC mags working wonderfully.
    I could have missed it, but I didn't see where someone indicated that they prefer the IWI mags over the ASC. In my particular case, I had nothing but trouble with C Products magazines in my RRA 9mm AR15. I changed to using the Metalforms and it runs 100% since. I noticed that my 9mm Tavor came with ASC magazines. They look the same as C Products magazines to me, so I just left them in the bag and gave the Metalforms a try in the Tavor. It runs 100% with them, so I have no reason to try the ASC mags. That said, it's entirely possible that the ASC mags would run 100% in the Tavor but not in the RRA.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    +1 to all this. I bought a load of them when they were available for $10 each. I still have plenty that are NIW, but all that I've tried have been 100% in my Colt 9mm SBR and my RRA 9mm SBR. Oddly, I have one plastic Promag and it's been 100% too. BTW, the RRA 9mm SBR was unreliable with the C-Products magazines, but has been 100% with the Metalforms.
    I think that may be because if your RRA 9mm was like mine, it has no feed cone, just a chamber that completely supports the round. Great for hot loads as it’s got maximum case support, but if there’s any issue with the feed angle, it’s a malfunction. So having a good mag feeding at the correct angle is important. Usually feed cones are more important with Glock builds since they can’t feed as low as Colt pattern mags. Personally, I like max case support in case of an OOB and tend to save the NATO and +p loads for my AR9s.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast