Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hilton Yam's first impressions of the STI Staccato P (video)

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tungsten View Post
    I picked up a Staccato P DUO a few weeks ago and love it. Still waiting on a few holsters that I've ordered and then it'll probably become a carry option, particularly for the Sundays when I am on the rotation for our church's safety team. This thing is just simply an effortless tack driver.

Very sweet, congrats

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    ...and now Hilton Yam is STI's Field Director of the 2011 Operational User and Armorer Program. And helping STI develop new products.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Yam/10-8 Performance on Facebook
    Today is International 10-8 Day! It was already a pretty cool day, the 13th time that my little company got to celebrate it....but I’m really excited to share a HUGE announcement with you guys today!
    STI International is proud to be working with Hilton Yam of 10-8 Performance as an addition to Team 2011 as our Field Director of the 2011 Operational User and Armorer Program.
    Yes! All the 1911 experience that I gathered over the years is being brought to bear in an exciting new set of programs that I am developing for STI. I’m actually at the STI factory this whole week, so stay tuned for details as the details of the programs get refined. 10-8 Performance will continue to operate as you’ve known - this an expansion of the business, and the line of 10-8 products will continue to flow and grow. To celebrate this special occasion, for TODAY only use coupon code 1082019, to get 10.8% off EVERYTHING in the store (including training), minimum $50 order. Orders will process after I get back in town.

#108performance #2011 #sti2011 #unotchperformance #unotch #108sights #onlyperformancecounts #armorertool #2011forthewin #findyourwin #inthehandsofheroes
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I hate to be that guy, but even as someone who CCW, competed with, took courses with, a 1911 for a decade + before transitioning to polymer wonder pistols, I'd have to say get the G19/M&P/Vp9 and spend the extra on ammo, mags, and training.
    The cast majority who buy insert whatever $400-600 handgun you want don't buy training or enough ammo to do much more than target practice occasionally.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The Staccato line are exceptionally easy to shoot rapidly/accurately.
    My Staccato P had a barrel fit issue (barrel hood touching port side of frame) which caused random fliers. I resolved this myself since it was simpler than sending back to STI.
    I also had a Bomar style RS installed for the ability to switch loads and dial in precisely.
    The DVC P is insanely soft shooting with follow up shots much quicker than the Staccato P.

The "head shots" are 40 rds (two mags) at 25 yds. offhand in under 50 seconds.
    I cannot approach that level of precision with irons or at that rate of fire.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    A look at the Chip McCormick modular 2011 frame kit from 1992 (the "OG" 2011). More a history lesson than actually directly related to the STI, it's still neat. (There was another episode a week ago of the 10-8 Performance Lab, but it was WRT irons and RDSs.)

One of the "highlights" is that the original 1992-era 2011 pistols worked because Chip McCormick (and company) tuned the magazines at the factory before shipping them out. IOW, STI decided to stop tuning them at some point and just shipped the magazines as-is, rather than addressing the magazine geometry (as STI has done, now).

And I just saw someone else has posted a review on the Staccato-P Duo, which I'll post up once I've had a chance to digest it...
    Last edited by SWATcop556; 11-30-19 at 15:28. Reason: Don't quote trolls
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics looks at the Staccato-P Duo (w/ Trijicon RMR):

-Aaron wears a t-shirt that says, "Make communists afraid again."
    -Aaron drops an empty Staccato P in a pile of empty magazines in the dirt.
    -2000 rounds fired: 115-gr S&B, Fiocchi, 124-gr GECO, Gold Dot, and 124-gr Gold Dot +P. 1 malfunction (ammunition-related).
    -Admits he's not a fan of the 1911 and has carried it (the 1911) professionally.
    -Gratuitous shot of many, many loaded shiny Gen2 STI 2011 mags.
    -Likes the magwell. Likes the 4.5-lb trigger for a duty gun. Impressed by accuracy.
    -Thinks the STI Duo mounting plate is crazy thick and could easily be thinned. (He disagrees with STI's reasoning for making the plates as thick as they are.) Believes they could come close to being able to co-witness an optic with standard-height irons with a thinner plate.

-500 round "burn down": 500 rounds in 3-4 minutes (essentially as fast as he can load and fire the gun): Results: Gun gets really, really hot and melts fiber optic front sight. 0 malfunctions. Then shot a 25 yard bullseye, five shots, scored 50-4Xs (off of bags).
    -Did periodic drop test (every 500 rounds, dropped on optic), plus a bunch of racking the handgun off of the RMR to test the Duo plate system's durability: Result 0 shift in the pistol's zero at 25 yards.
    -0 care was taken of the pistol, as far as preventative maintenance.

-Only unresolved concern is function in cold/extremely cold weather.

Overall, Aaron Cowan is happy with the Staccato-P Duo, finds it to be an excellent quality pistol, and well worth the price of admission.

"If you're willing to spend $2500 on an AR, then you should have no problem spending $2500 on a quality 2011."
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 10-09-19 at 22:58.
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    That's a relief that Aaron approves.

( :

While he obviously has quite a following, I have never understood Aaron's methodology in "testing".
    I suppose if a product holds up to his reviews (optics in particular) it's vetted "bullet proof" if nothing else.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

While he obviously has quite a following, I have never understood Aaron's methodology in "testing".
    I suppose if a product holds up to his reviews (optics in particular) it's vetted "bullet proof" if nothing else.
    That’s the whole point...he reviews stuff intended for duty and self defense, not range toys.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Anyone know if they will make their gen 2 mags in 10 rounds capacity?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Yam posted this morning that he got one of the prototype Safariland STI Staccato P Duo (with weapon light and RDS) holsters and is reporting that there is no firm date on when it will be available, but rumor is that it will be Spring. Yam also has an M&P/RMR/X300 holster on order from Safariland and will compare it with the prototype STI holster. (Oh, and he got his Staccato P Duo last week.)
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast