Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hilton Yam's first impressions of the STI Staccato P (video)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Exactly. I raised this issue in the STI thread in the semiauto forum earlier. I'm very interested in the STI and would consider one, absolutely not dumping on them. But--aside from cost--I'm not seeing the advantage of the STI. If cost were no object, I'd choose the Wilson hands down. One good reason is that, in their modernization of the 1911 platform, they wisely eliminated the grip safety. If I were modernizing the 1911, some of the first things I'd do would be to make an integral plunger tube, improve on the internal extractor design and the whole 'extractor tensioning' thing that every 1911 shooter knows and loves, and eliminate the grip safety. Wilson did all those, and their design is extremely well thought out and endorsed by a lot of 1911 pros we'd respect--like LAV.
    Basically a 1911 and BHP hybrid, which is better than if a 1911 and G17 had a baby.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    The biggest difference that I can think of between the STI and the EDC X9 is that there are multiple vendors/manufacturers of STI magazines and they can be had in capacities up to 29 or 30 rounds, while the EDC X9 tops out at 18. Plus, if STI goes out of business tomorrow, there will still be plenty of magazines and spare parts out there for their 2011s. If Wilson suddenly folded up shop, nobody's making spare parts or accessories for the EDC X9.

The other difference is who the guns are marketed to: The EDC X9 is marketed to private individuals who like high-end 1911s (but want the capacity of a G19), while the STI is marketed toward LE agencies that like 1911s (but want the capacity of a G17/34).
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Will,
    Actually Hilton ordered his Staccato P off of Gunbroker and has a Staccato P DUO on order from STI. He isn't part of TeamSTI and isn't getting them for T&E. He is paying out of pocket for them both.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If I reading all this correctly there is still the issue of weight. The EDC is lighter.
    Personally I want a gun as light as possible. Currently carry a Colt CCO or a 19 and those are my limit.
    Taking Hilton's December 1911 class so I hope to get my hands on his personal STI :-).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane1 View Post
    Will,
    Actually Hilton ordered his Staccato P off of Gunbroker and has a Staccato P DUO on order from STI. He isn't part of TeamSTI and isn't getting them for T&E. He is paying out of pocket for them both.
    Rgr rgr.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by p7fl View Post
    If I reading all this correctly there is still the issue of weight. The EDC is lighter.
    Personally I want a gun as light as possible. Currently carry a Colt CCO or a 19 and those are my limit.
    Taking Hilton's December 1911 class so I hope to get my hands on his personal STI :-).
    And that's why the P isn't a good comparison to the EDC. It really is a full size Duty style weapon due to the longer grip. For a CCW, the DVC-C is a much better option. Both around $3000. I think the Wilson looks better.

DVC-C
    Barrel - 3.90 inch Bull Barrel
    Finish - Diamond Like Carbon - Black
    Magazines - 3x 120mm (16 round capacity flush fit)
    Dawson Precision Perfect Impact Sights
    Front - Fiber Optic
    Rear - Black, Novak cut
    Trigger - 4.5 lbs w/ Ambi Thumb Safety
    Grip - 2011® DVC Stipple, VIP Length, Black
    Other - Recoil Master, Railed Aluminum Frame
    Available Calibers - 9mm
    Length 7.57 x Grip Width 1.33 x Height 5.12 - Width at Safeties 1.49
    Weight - 25.9 oz

Wilson EDC
    Available Calibers: 9mm
    Magazine Capacity: 15 or 18 rounds
    Barrel Length: 4”
    Overall Length: 7.4”
    Sight Radius: 5.6”
    Height: 5.25”
    Width: 1.4”
    Weight Empty: 29.09 oz
    Weight Loaded: 35.04 oz
    Last edited by Dump1567; 09-18-19 at 13:35.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I tend to agree that the Wilson would be a better CCW than the P, and vice versa for duty. That said I don't see enough gain over a G19 to get the EDC (though I'd do it if I had an extra $3K laying around). I'm actively working out how to fund a P Duo though.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    I tend to agree that the Wilson would be a better CCW than the P, and vice versa for duty. That said I don't see enough gain over a G19 to get the EDC (though I'd do it if I had an extra $3K laying around). I'm actively working out how to fund a P Duo though.
    I hate to be that guy, but even as someone who CCW, competed with, took courses with, a 1911 for a decade + before transitioning to polymer wonder pistols, I'd have to say get the G19/M&P/Vp9 and spend the extra on ammo, mags, and training.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I like that Wilson deleted the grip safety but imo those guns aesthetically look atrocious.

And being 1911s looks matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I'm concerned about the jump the shorter factory 9MM loads have to make in a magazine designed to feed longer .45ACP and 38Super ammo. In the Wilson the magazine was designed for the 9MM and would seem to be more reliable if everything else equal.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast