Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hilton Yam's first impressions of the STI Staccato P (video)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    There is a mount/plate for the Leupold DPP as well.
    If i may... the DPP mounts directly to the slide. IT doesn't use a plate. The Marshals specified the Delta Point Pro so STI machined the slide for it and then added a plate for the RMR.
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Interesting.

My Stacatto P came with two plates; for RMR and DPP.
    I stand corrected. I assume this was/is a “rolling change”.

Feedback Score
    That is really interesting. Mine came with the new grip but just the one plate.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I’m in a ban state. Love 1911s. Never got into sti. Felt up both a C and a P today. Walked away really interested in a P despite ban state bs laws. Was $1995. Non Duo.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    The plate is an adapter for mounting the Trijicon RMR. I think the slide is machined to direct mount the Leupold DPP.
    This is correct. In the video they showed both DPP and SiG Romeo Pro direct-mounted to a DUO slide.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Well, I haven't read all 9 pages here, BUT... I got to shoot one of these at a rental range a couple days ago. Fullsize Stac-P with irons only.
    It's freaking great.

I won't say it's "easy to shoot accurately" because you still need to pay attention, but I would say it makes shooting accurately easier. With a Glock or other guns, you kind of have to work for each shot, the Stac P if you know what you did to hit the first time, you just keep doing it and it hits. Like, if you were going to do extended-range pistol shooting, I've taken a couple other guns out to 50yds before, and I can hit repeatedly if I'm having a good day, but the Stac-P I would actually feel confident shooting at that distance. At the measly 10 yards I tested it at, I almost could not miss unless I started feeling too John Wick and got cocky. Put 20 out of 30 in one center-mass hole. The others were my fault, or close enough to not bother me.
    The 320 I also shot, I got a similar ten-round one-hole group, BUT that was after 20 previous rounds of finding the sweet spot on the trigger, figuring out the sights were misaligned (yay range rentals! ) and then *really* working the fundamentals for each shot, and statistically speaking, I still dropped more shots than with the Stac-P.
    The Stac-P I picked up, and like 4 shots into getting used to the light trigger, I was on target.

See attached pics; are they great groups? No, and I really should have shot a couple further out, but just didn't have time. But for *me*, on top of the experience of the ass-ton of pistols I've tried over the years...yeah. I'll take two.

Weight- it's a little heavy, but in a very balanced way that felt near a loaded G17 with an X300; not to nose heavy or butt heavy, right in the middle- you feel like the weight is well supported in your hand, unlike the Sig X-five I shot as well that felt like a damn Desert Eagle, and was way to much weight for what it is.
    The "bark" stippling feels great- just the right amount without that cheese-grater effect I hate. Grip width was perfectly comfortable in my larger hands, but I think it would also work well with smaller handed people. Sort of an M&P-ish "mid-size" grip style.

Trigger- I don't know why some people have had complaints about the pull weight. It's perfect. FAR from the "snapping a plastic pen" feel of the Glock/P320/P10C types but not that horrid weightless mouse-click that I can't stand either. No take-up (or so short I never noticed), just a short, smooth, straight-back hammer-drop *snick*- like you think it's going to be a little to light at first, but once you start shooting it's just right.

The only things I'm not 100% in love with are the far-forward slide release lever, the huge-ass magwell, and the price, and I seriously spent the evening after coming home debating whether to sell every other pistol I own now and just get a couple of these... and that has only happened with 2 other guns so far in my gun owning adventures (AR, Kriss vector) and never with a pistol...
    Frankly, I'd also forgotten how much I like 1911 type guns...

But the reality is, that gun will do the same as a G17 in the hands of 99% of shooters 100% of the time.
    Perhaps.
    But if the shooter has even a modicum of skill, and perhaps some experience with a variety of pistols, they will see an immediate difference in the small things.

Attachment 59819Attachment 59820
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

Of course a few days after I get my 4.15" 2019 Staccato P, the 4.45" 2020 Staccato P is announced.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Man, STI changes model designation WAY too frequently.
    Need a score card to keep track of the players.

I am interested in their gen 2 grip module.
    I spoke with Hilton re. this, he indicated the gen 2 feels less “blocky” than the grip on the 1st gen Staccato P or DVC P.
    I found the original grip is at the outer limits of control for my med. (ok, possibly girlie) hands.
    H said 10-8 would be carrying this, in addition to 2011 parts ( think flat trigger, etc).
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Man, STI changes model designation WAY too frequently.
    Need a score card to keep track of the players.

I am interested in their gen 2 grip module.
    I spoke with Hilton re. this, he indicated the gen 2 feels less “blocky” than the grip on the 1st gen Staccato P or DVC P.
    I found the original grip is at the outer limits of control for my med. (ok, possibly girlie) hands.
    H said 10-8 would be carrying this, in addition to 2011 parts ( think flat trigger, etc).
    I think that's the result of STI's reorganization, having legacy pistols, rebranding themselves, their success with that rebranding, and their subsequent rebranding of the rest of their brand to bring it in line with their more successful models.

I think the model names will be much more consistent from 2020 on.
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    I have a Staccato P Duo. Love it so far. I think I prefer the 4.15 inch to the 4.5 inch version for next year. I want a threaded barrel to run a can, and I think the shorter barrel is better for that application. The one that really has my interest is the aluminum frame C2 (I think). Basically a double stack Staccato C. I'll have to have that one. The Staccato version of the DVC P is also pretty temptiong but its a 4K pistol, so you know...
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast