Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hilton Yam's first impressions of the STI Staccato P (video)

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    He gives a pretty strong endorsement. One more reason to get into my pocket.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    He gives a pretty strong endorsement. One more reason to get into my pocket.

PB
    He's a big fan of the M&P also BTW and I believe that's his primary shooter these days, or was when I was on his forums a while back:

https://www.military.com/kitup/2013/...nce-glock.html
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    He's a big fan of the M&P also BTW and I believe that's his primary shooter these days, or was when I was on his forums a while back:

https://www.military.com/kitup/2013/...nce-glock.html
    Last posts on FB have suggested that he's been doing most of his shooting with Glocks.

Also: A week or so ago, right after getting his Staccato-P but before posting his first impressions video, Yam posted up some drill times he'd run with the STI and compared them to the last time he'd run the same drills with a Glock (in this case a G19 with RDS) and a 1911 (a 5" 45): And in both cases, his times with the STI were significantly faster.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    I picked up a Staccato P DUO a few weeks ago and love it. Still waiting on a few holsters that I've ordered and then it'll probably become a carry option, particularly for the Sundays when I am on the rotation for our church's safety team. This thing is just simply an effortless tack driver.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Staccato-P Tech Talk:

Highlights: No MIM or cast parts; slide, frame, and barrel are handfit; PSA for new 2011 owners (especially guys who have never seriously rocked 1911s).

ETA: Yam posted on FB today or yesterday that he's reached 1000 rounds through his STI with 0 malfunctions of any type.

ETA2:
    I hate to be that guy, but even as someone who CCW, competed with, took courses with, a 1911 for a decade + before transitioning to polymer wonder pistols, I'd have to say get the G19/M&P/Vp9 and spend the extra on ammo, mags, and training.
    I agree with this in principle, but I don't see this reflected in reality.

The reality that I see is that someone will either buy ammo and get training - or they won't.

The reality that I see is that the cost of the gun itself is irrelevant if you don't get training and put less than 200 rounds through the thing annually. And conversely, the cost of the gun itself is a drop in the bucket if you're spending the money on 10,000 rounds of ammo and take two or more classes a year.

The reality that I see is that people will have a budget for a gun - and a separate budget for ammunition and training; and ne'er the twain shall meet. Money budgeted for a gun that is not spent on a gun rarely gets allocated to ammunition and training, but to other big budget items, like additional firearms, housework, fixing up the car, &c. or is reallocated to a general budgetary slushfund.

IOW, when someone is dedicated enough to shoot their guns regularly and frequently and seek professional instruction, they will do so whether they have a refurbed LE trade-in Glock with whatever sights were on the thing from the factory riding in an RCS Perun (<$500) or an STI Staccato-P Duo with an X300U and an RMR in whatever ALS holster the gods on Mount Safariland will bestow upon us (~$3000) or an NHC/WC/GI in a Milt Sparks #1AT ($3000+).
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 09-22-19 at 13:55.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    The reality that I see is that someone will either buy ammo and get training - or they won't.
    Amen. It isn't either/or. Get the equipment that you shoot BEST and train.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Nice overview. Lots of interesting comments.

This line: "To say that the 2011 is inherently unreliable would be a false statement, because it is probably the most winning platform out there in USPSA competition, if you total up all the wins it has had over the years."

Would love to hear Hilton's thoughts on: Why the STI 2011 over the Wilson EDC X9? (I mean in a service role). Would be great to see somebody do a head-to-head comparison of the two platforms.
    I'm not Hilton, but I thought I'd share my observations since you asked about the Wilson. I've carried mine on duty with a SF X300 for a little more than 2 years now.
    Round count is just over 11k rounds with no failures to date. Sample size of one, but it has worked out great for me.

Some comparisons between the two guns. The X9 shares a size more in line with a Glock 19, whereas the STI is more in line with the Glock 17. The X9 uses an aluminum alloy frame, the STI a carbon steel frame with polymer grip. X9 has a stainless slide and barrel that can be coated in Wilson's Armor Tuff, STI has a carbon steel slide and stainless barrel, which are DLC coated along with the steel frame. The X9 has an external extractor, STI has an internal one. The X9 lacks a grip safety, the STI does not (I'll touch on this below). Both guns are available with their own mounting plates for red dot optics. Both are series 70.

I have found the X9 magazines, both 15 round flush fit and 18 round extended, to be very reliable. Gun functions fine with JHP duty ammo (Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +p, Federal HST 124 gr +p, Speer G2 147 gr +p) and ball ammo. The extractor and spring are user serviceable parts and easily accessible when spring replacement is needed. The base pad on the extended magazine is subtle and adds very little length to the magazine. I actually conceal carry with the 18 rounder. The lack of a grip safety is a plus in my book, BUT the beavertail design on the X9 seems to force my hand a little lower than a traditional 1911 would. If I had to compare it to something, it would be similar to the beavertail on a Sig P series pistol. It works very well for me, but I suspect you could get a little higher on the 2011 / 1911.

To date, Safariland does not make anything for the Wilson. I had to have my duty holster custom made. Guy did a great job and used the Safariland SLS retention hood, but having a well known company like them producing duty holsters for the gun is huge. Safariland is set to release a duty holster for the STI with and without a red dot optic attached. Worth noting if that's a deal breaker for you.

For me, the X9's size is perfect. I can conceal carry it just fine and do everything I could do with a Glock 19. Certainly not impossible with the STI, but it is a larger gun. It seems they hit a home run with this new Staccato pistol though. Glad to see more hi cap 1911 offerings that can run well.

I'd like to know what, if any, design or function difference this and the Wilson EDC9 besides almost a 1K difference.
    From a design standpoint, I know the Wilson uses a single lug barrel versus the traditional 1911 setup. They made changes to the frame rails as well (removed material), but it appears the STI rails are set up in a similar way to optimize reliability. Both guns have all barstock parts, no MIM or cast. The X9 magazine is based on the Walther PPQ and manufactured by Mec Gar in Italy. The Wilson comes with certain features that cannot be deleted from the gun when you order it. Slide top serrations, serrations on the rear of the slide, carry cuts, reverse barrel crown, etc...I don't really need them, but you can't order the gun without them and I am sure they add to the cost through increased machine time.

I have no idea which one would fail first from a functional standpoint. I've run my X9 to 900 rounds without cleaning. I'm sure it could've gone longer, I chose to break down and clean it.

Tspeis
    Last edited by Tspeis; 09-23-19 at 12:43.

Feedback Score
    Double tap.
    Last edited by Tspeis; 09-23-19 at 10:49.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That's a great, detailed post, including the reliability of your Wilson after 11K rounds. Slightly OT from the STI discussion, but germane when thinking about 1911-inspired pistols like STI/Wilson in relation to striker fired ones, do you shoot the Wilson significantly better than your Glock or other SF duty pistol options, or is it more the preference for the 1911-based action?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I hate to be that guy, but even as someone who CCW, competed with, took courses with, a 1911 for a decade + before transitioning to polymer wonder pistols, I'd have to say get the G19/M&P/Vp9 and spend the extra on ammo, mags, and training.
    Most anyone who is buying a Staccato has money for ammo and training and a Breitling and could give a fck about that tired old story. Don't hate to be that guy, just dont be that guy.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast