Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hilton Yam's first impressions of the STI Staccato P (video)

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

Hilton Yam's first impressions of the STI Staccato P (video)

First of a series of videos on the STI Staccato P.

Hilton goes into the history of the 2011, and then compares/contrasts with a 45 Auto single-stack government model 1911 and a Glock 17, and finally his actual first impressions of the Staccato P pistol.

Spoiler alert: It sounds like it's pretty much the love-child of a Glock 17 and a 1911 (custom production 1911 trigger and level of fit with G17 capacity, at a weight sitting roughly in the middle between the G17 and the steel-frame 45 Auto 1911).

ETA: Video 2: Tech Talk

ETA 2: Video 3: CMC Modular Frame Kit (c. 1992, "OG 2011")
    Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics reviews the STI Staccato-P Duo

ETA 3: Video 4: Two-minute Tour of the STI factory

ETA 4: Video 5: 2500 rounds through the Staccato P (c/o Gary1911A1)

ETA 5: Video ???: The 1911/2011 On Duty

ETA 6: AIWB Options for the STI 2011
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 03-01-20 at 21:41.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice overview. Lots of interesting comments.

This line: "To say that the 2011 is inherently unreliable would be a false statement, because it is probably the most winning platform out there in USPSA competition, if you total up all the wins it has had over the years."

Would love to hear Hilton's thoughts on: Why the STI 2011 over the Wilson EDC X9? (I mean in a service role). Would be great to see somebody do a head-to-head comparison of the two platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This was also worth a listen: HILTON YAM – THE MAN BEHIND 10-8 PERFORMANCE
    https://firearmsnation.com/hilton-ya...8-performance/

Hilton Yam is a retired FBI Agent who spent a career putting away violent criminals and teaching firearms. He got started in shooting by competing in IPSC and learning about firearms from Bruce Gray. Along the way, Hilton began his work on 1911 guns and eventually formed his company, 10-8 Performance. That company went on to produce handgun sights for a variety of common handguns like Glock and Smith & Wesson MP line. Now that Hilton retired, I was able to sit down and discuss his work as well as get Hilton’s take on handguns and shooting.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Okay. Politics of acquisition aside......I feel somewhat less skeptical about this gun as it is. They have addressed the magazines and 1911 Jet Li (It's a compliment; don't spaz) has shed much needed light on what makes this gun what it is.

It doesn't do any more or less than a Glock but it does seem interesting and I wouldn't kick it out of bed.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    1911 Jet Li. Epic.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Nice overview. Lots of interesting comments.

This line: "To say that the 2011 is inherently unreliable would be a false statement, because it is probably the most winning platform out there in USPSA competition, if you total up all the wins it has had over the years."

Would love to hear Hilton's thoughts on: Why the STI 2011 over the Wilson EDC X9? (I mean in a service role). Would be great to see somebody do a head-to-head comparison of the two platforms.
    A reliable out of the box double stack 9mm 1911 based gun has been unicorn for decades. It appears Wilson and apparently STI have cracked that code. I didn't know he was in my area and teaching courses. I will look into that ASAP!
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I hate every positive thread about the STI Staccato guns.

You monsters make me want one each and every damn time, and I don't even care for 1911 style handguns.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Yam has now torn into the guts of his Staccato P, made a flat-faced trigger for it, and a magazine release similar to his 10-8 Performance single-stack 1911 magazine release.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    There is a recent P&S Modcast talking about these guns. Buck from STI and Matt Little talk about their relative experiences with the platform and in Buck's case, how STI is changing as a company. I think if you watch it, you will be convinced that STI is serious about the duty gun market and has sorted out the old time mag issues.

They also offer MIL/LE/first responder pricing.

And ALS optic ready holsters are a few weeks out.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I hate every positive thread about the STI Staccato guns.

You monsters make me want one each and every damn time, and I don't even care for 1911 style handguns.
    I'd like to know what, if any, design or function difference this and the Wilson EDC9 besides almost a 1K difference.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast