Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Hilton Yam's first impressions of the STI Staccato P (video)

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMFdarkangel View Post
    Dawson makes the Staccato P guide rods and springs. The new pistols ship with spares.
    Great - that's for the newer recoil system, right, with the Dawson "tool-less" full length rod?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMFdarkangel View Post
    Dawson makes the Staccato P guide rods and springs. The new pistols ship with spares.
    The “spares” are not intended to be used as replacements; they are intended to be used to tune the gun for different loads. (So if you run +Ps, you have a stouter spring for that. If you run super light target loads, you have a spring for that. If you run regular 9mm ammo, the spring in the gun from the factory works is for that.)
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    The “spares” are not intended to be used as replacements; they are intended to be used to tune the gun for different loads. (So if you run +Ps, you have a stouter spring for that. If you run super light target loads, you have a spring for that. If you run regular 9mm ammo, the spring in the gun from the factory works is for that.)
    I understand that. However, STI has starting including all three weight springs with the new guns (in addition to the one already in the gun).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Dammit. This thread is gonna end up costing me a lot of money.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
    Dammit. This thread is gonna end up costing me a lot of money.
    It's already cost me $2500 between the gun, holsters, and mags. Come on in, the water's fine.

Speaking of holsters, I highly recommend Tom Wise with 2A holsters. He doesn't list the Staccato P, but he was willing to make me one - an OWB for a Surefire x300 and QLS fork - very easy to work with. I'll report when I receive it.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    JM Custom Kydex now has holsters and magazine pouches in their Quick Ship section for 2020 Staccato Ps.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    JM Custom Kydex now has holsters and magazine pouches in their Quick Ship section for 2020 Staccato Ps.
    You may have just cost me another $100. John is great to deal with and I'm a big fan of his products. Too bad he's not making them with a light attachment currently.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Brief range report -

I was able to take my Staccato P out to the range today. Ran 300+ rounds through it. I read some reports on TOS of mag catch/magazine problems and JHP rounds nosediving on the feed ramp. A few observations:

The (kind of) bad:

Caveat - I did not clean the gun prior.

- The first couple mags were 147 HSTs as that’s probably what I’ll carry in it. Sure enough, the first round nosedived on the first 2 mags when released with the slide stop. The slide barely moved before the round hung up and they were stuck good. Re-released by racking and no issues. I never noticed the problem again.

- I usually shoot 147 Lawman, but I had a few boxes of 124 Lawman that I wanted to use up so that was probably the next 175+. At around 200 rounds, the gun really slowed down. The slide was sluggish and wouldn’t fully go into batter every couple of rounds. The ejection was like the brass were just dribbling out the top and I had a few stove pipes because of it. Made it through the last of the 124s and switched to 147 Lawman and a box of 147 Ranger bonded. Problem gone. Slide worked fine, no FTE. I don’t know if the heavier bullet helped or what.

- I wish the rear sight was wider or the front narrower. The front sight is thicker than what I’m currently running on other guns and the fiber optic is so big that in sunlight it almost fills the entire rear. Shooting at more than 10 yards is a hair more difficult with how full the sight picture is.

The good:

- It shoots like a dream. It’s the softest recoiling pistol I’ve owned. I could probably have put another 300 through it and not been any worse for wear. Shot my Glock 17 in between and there was no comparison.
    - Very accurate. My pistol skills have atrophied, but when I took my time, groups were awesome from 10-25. The sights seemed set more for 20-25.
    - Mags were flawless. I was running a couple stainless and 4 Teflon. Mine must be newer because the 2 20 round Teflon mags that came with it have the tall floor plate that they just started using to prevent overinsertion.

Given the issues I had for about 20 rounds, I don’t trust it completely. I’ll have to put another 300-500 through it, problem free, before I do. If that goes well, this will easily be my favorite gun and money well spent. Now I’m just waiting on holsters. Got a Garrett to start, but I’m out of QLS forks to mount on it.
    Last edited by sundance435; 05-01-20 at 17:08.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    Brief range report -

I was able to take my Staccato P out to the range today. Ran 300+ rounds through it. I read some reports on TOS of mag catch/magazine problems and JHP rounds nosediving on the feed ramp. A few observations:

The (kind of) bad:

Caveat - I did not clean the gun prior.

- The first couple mags were 147 HSTs as that’s probably what I’ll carry in it. Sure enough, the first round nosedived on the first 2 mags when released with the slide stop. The slide barely moved before the round hung up and they were stuck good. Re-released by racking and no issues. I never noticed the problem again.

- I usually shoot 147 Lawman, but I had a few boxes of 124 Lawman that I wanted to use up so that was probably the next 175+. At around 200 rounds, the gun really slowed down. The slide was sluggish and wouldn’t fully go into batter every couple of rounds. The ejection was like the brass were just dribbling out the top and I had a few stove pipes because of it. Made it through the last of the 124s and switched to 147 Lawman and a box of 147 Ranger bonded. Problem gone. Slide worked fine, no FTE. I don’t know if the heavier bullet helped or what.

- I wish the rear sight was wider or the front narrower. The front sight is thicker than what I’m currently running on other guns and the fiber optic is so big that in sunlight it almost fills the entire rear. Shooting at more than 10 yards is a hair more difficult with how full the sight picture is.

The good:

- It shoots like a dream. It’s the softest recoiling pistol I’ve owned. I could probably have put another 300 through it and not been any worse for wear. Shot my Glock 17 in between and there was no comparison.
    - Very accurate. My pistol skills have atrophied, but when I took my time, groups were awesome from 10-25. The sights seemed set more for 20-25.
    - Mags were flawless. I was running a couple stainless and 4 Teflon. Mine must be newer because the 2 20 round Teflon mags that came with it have the tall floor plate that they just started using to prevent overinsertion.

Given the issues I had for about 20 rounds, I don’t trust it completely. I’ll have to put another 300-500 through it, problem free, before I do. If that goes well, this will easily be my favorite gun and money well spent. Now I’m just waiting on holsters. Got a Garrett to start, but I’m out of QLS forks to mount on it.

Reports like this are why I do not own one. They look nice, and seem to often shoot nice... but are not 100% rock solid reliable. Which when spending $2000 on a pistol, is a requirement for me. Especially since now that STI has been sold, company name changed to Staccato, new owner is a capital management firm (read: how can we squeeze more profitability from this investment), and an overall cheapening and watering down the product line compared to the older Edge and DVC models. I remember on more than one occasion in competitions, where people would have issues with their STIs. FTE, FTL, probably due to magazine fitment issues, but who knows for sure.

For a good 2011 I'd rather spend a bit more with Wilson, NightHawk, TriArc... buy once, cry once... but get a more reliable, higher quality pistol.

The 10-8 guy works for STI/Staccato now... so take that with some salt.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Re. this > “The 10-8 guy works for STI/Staccato now... so take that with some salt.“ No doubt Hilton is a paid employee/consultant/ambassador but so is Mike Panone & Matt Little, none of which troubles me in the least & if anything brings more credibility to the STI org.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast