Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Hilton Yam's first impressions of the STI Staccato P (video)

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 9X19mm View Post
    Reports like this are why I do not own one. They look nice, and seem to often shoot nice... but are not 100% rock solid reliable. Which when spending $2000 on a pistol, is a requirement for me. Especially since now that STI has been sold, company name changed to Staccato, new owner is a capital management firm (read: how can we squeeze more profitability from this investment), and an overall cheapening and watering down the product line compared to the older Edge and DVC models. I remember on more than one occasion in competitions, where people would have issues with their STIs. FTE, FTL, probably due to magazine fitment issues, but who knows for sure.

For a good 2011 I'd rather spend a bit more with Wilson, NightHawk, TriArc... buy once, cry once... but get a more reliable, higher quality pistol.

The 10-8 guy works for STI/Staccato now... so take that with some salt.
    So on the one hand you talk about how they've sold the company and everything has changed and on the other you talk about the old days?

I don't find talk of teething issues with guns with this level of fitment very seriously. My Springfield Professional (2007 or 2008 production before they switched from Nowlin barrels) would not reliably chamber for the first couple hundred rounds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Agile53 View Post
    Re. this > “The 10-8 guy works for STI/Staccato now... so take that with some salt.“ No doubt Hilton is a paid employee/consultant/ambassador but so is Mike Panone & Matt Little, none of which troubles me in the least & if anything brings more credibility to the STI org.
    It doesn’t trouble me either... but it is not very evident in all the “helpful 10-8 how to shill” videos either. Also none of those others guys are in the subject line of this thread. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    So on the one hand you talk about how they've sold the company and everything has changed and on the other you talk about the old days?

I don't find talk of teething issues with guns with this level of fitment very seriously. My Springfield Professional (2007 or 2008 production before they switched from Nowlin barrels) would not reliably chamber for the first couple hundred rounds.

Yep. ItÂ’s clear the new regime is living off the old name and watering-down the line. Not that the older models (Edge and DVC) were perfect either. I can recall more than one time when in the middle of a competition someone threw their $3K STI pistol in the dirt due to FTF or FTE.

Now after cost cutting measures and a name change, I’m reading about the same FTF or FTE issues, even more now. Not just here either. Search the other well known 1911 forums. If I spend $2K on a new pistol, especially if it were a competition gun, I am not going to be happy. FTF and FTE on a brand-new $2K pistol do not inspire confidence. More than a “teething-issue” imho. Ymmv.

Feedback Score
    I love single and double stack 1911s. I also love M1 carbines, M1 Garlands, FN 49s, 1971 Ford Broncos, CJ7s, and my ‘68 GTO.

And they can each do amazing, very cool things and are a blast when working perfectly.

But in the same way I would not want to the time and hassle involved with keeping one of those vehicles as a daily driver,
    I find it was easier to hop into a fairly new coyote Mustang, a Hemi Challenger, FJ cruiser, 4Runner, etc. and throw my ARs, Glocks, and 92s into the range bags.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I'd be careful about calling a well respected industry professional a "shill." He's never hid his affiliation with STI/Staccato and is a vetted 1911/2011 smith.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My experience with Hilton has been nothing if not professional.
    He is an acknowledged SME re. the 1911 format.

Hopefully he can get STI headed back on track. My recent experience with STI has been less than encouraging.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

Aaron Cowan reviews the Staccato XC.

Short version: He likes it.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I just wanted to point out that Milt Sparks is now making holsters for Staccatos.

As far as I am aware, they are still not making holsters for H&K P30Ls.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    That holster is teh sex. (Not a typo)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The comp’d DVC P is like cheating. Even with minor ammo.
    It’s currently my favorite auto pistol to shoot.
    My P Duo has been 100% reliable. My trigger is great, however, I shot a friend's Comp'd DVC, and yes it's like cheating. Like shooting my CZ czechmate with comp on it. It's a pure competition gun and I like the Stacatto being a little more tactical in nature, but the CZ was much less.

But if you have not shot the DVC, don't unless you have the money. Because you won't sleep well.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415