Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Godzilla King Of The Monsters (Review)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Godzilla King Of The Monsters (Review)

Godzilla King Of The Monsters (Review)

Godzilla, King Of The Monsters, is a good old fashioned monster movie that benefits from modern special effects and CGI. Not only that, there's an actual attempt at back stories for some of the characters, character development, and some fun dialogue and an actual plot. It's a visual tour de force and quite pretty to look at in some scenes. If you grew up with an appreciation for Godzilla movies and the ilk, worth a watch for sure. It is however a Godzilla movie after all, so expectations should be realistic ... B-

Last edited by WillBrink; 09-16-19 at 12:39.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Exclamation

It SUCKED OUT LOUD. (Warning - there be spoilers ahead!)

I took #1 son to see it - he's into disaster movies now, and loves it when the monsters/transformers/whatevers step on buildings, and let's face it; your expectations for Godzilla are NEVER gonna be that high to start with. You expect to see a couple of guys in rubber monster suits wrestle - you expect the Japanese to throw some Korean War vintage armament at him - and there's always the slow-mo scene of him walking through high tension lines, as they arc all over the place... and there's your CLASSIC Godzilla formula, right?

Noooooooooooooo... not with today's social justice morons ruining EVERY script! The 'bad' guys (terrorist/mercenaries) are cornier than the A-Team ('80's version), but LESS interesting. The "REAL" bad guys are capitalists (BIG surprise...), the good guys ARE the monsters (because, as eco-tards note, "the HUMANS are the infestation! And the monsters leave behind GREEN GROWTH wherever they trample! "), and the script is both boring AND pedantic. I'm sitting there thinking - "Who WROTE this drivel?!?! It sounds like a democrap campaign commercial!

As for the special effects, a viewer on another forum put it best. He said, "The special effects were SO good, you really BELIEVED it was a guy in a rubber Godzilla suit!

As for the androgynous teenage hero/heroine, she had fewer facial expressions, than the famous Steven Seagal acting chart! She had one emotion the WHOLE time - angst. Which was to be contrapuntal to her eco-tard mom's ONE emotion - dopey. And the ONLY character you BEGIN to care about (the Japanese scientist, who speaks scientific warnings in fortune cookie pithiness), dies. Even HE didn't want to stick around to the end of THIS clunker!

My son has Autism, so he enjoyed the monsters. If your kids are Autistic, wait until it comes out on HBO... like I wished I had, rather than paying $47 at the theater for the two of us... for a MATINEE!

I will add ONE praise for it: I can't WAIT to see the guys at RiffTrax (the old MST3k folks) give it the treatment it so RICHLY deserves! I WILL be first in line to buy the downloadable riff, to replace the audio track for it!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    It SUCKED OUT LOUD. (Warning - there be spoilers ahead!)

I took #1 son to see it - he's into disaster movies now, and loves it when the monsters/transformers/whatevers step on buildings, and let's face it; your expectations for Godzilla are NEVER gonna be that high to start with.

Exactly, so my review is within the context of it being a Godzilla movie...

You expect to see a couple of guys in rubber monster suits wrestle - you expect the Japanese to throw some Korean War vintage armament at him - and there's always the slow-mo scene of him walking through high tension lines, as they arc all over the place... and there's your CLASSIC Godzilla formula, right?

Noooooooooooooo... not with today's social justice morons ruining EVERY script! The 'bad' guys (terrorist/mercenaries) are cornier than the A-Team ('80's version), but LESS interesting. The "REAL" bad guys are capitalists (BIG surprise...), the good guys ARE the monsters (because, as eco-tards note, "the HUMANS are the infestation! And the monsters leave behind GREEN GROWTH wherever they trample! "), and the script is both boring AND pedantic. I'm sitting there thinking - "Who WROTE this drivel?!?! It sounds like a democrap campaign commercial!
    Meh, that plot line, humans need to go, etc, etc is is very old and way older than modern modern SJW stuff, and actually in line with the original Godzilla theme, as the monster was awaken due to the their nuke testing of the Bikini Atoll's, so totally in line with the ongoing story line. Some movies these days are ruined by being written by woke SJW warriors, but this was not actually one of them. Godzilla's theme has always been about man messing with things he does not fully understand and or may not be able to control.

As for the special effects, a viewer on another forum put it best. He said, "The special effects were SO good, you really BELIEVED it was a guy in a rubber Godzilla suit!

As for the androgynous teenage hero/heroine, she had fewer facial expressions, than the famous Steven Seagal acting chart! She had one emotion the WHOLE time - angst. Which was to be contrapuntal to her eco-tard mom's ONE emotion - dopey. And the ONLY character you BEGIN to care about (the Japanese scientist, who speaks scientific warnings in fortune cookie pithiness), dies. Even HE didn't want to stick around to the end of THIS clunker!

My son has Autism, so he enjoyed the monsters. If your kids are Autistic, wait until it comes out on HBO... like I wished I had, rather than paying $47 at the theater for the two of us... for a MATINEE!

I will add ONE praise for it: I can't WAIT to see the guys at RiffTrax (the old MST3k folks) give it the treatment it so RICHLY deserves! I WILL be first in line to buy the downloadable riff, to replace the audio track for it!
    Did you see the last Godzilla movie? This one was far better on all levels and at least attempted to give some additional dimensions to the franchise that actually reminded me more of the black white rubber guy in suit but with much better special effects movies of my childhood compared to others.

As Godzilla movies go, I enjoyed it, but one does not go to see a Godzilla movie expecting anything beyond (hopefully) some good visuals, and maybe an attempt to give the story a minimal plot and such. For me, this one achieved it. I would never $ to actually sit in a theater to see it, unless of course I had a kid who I knew would enjoy it...
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I would never $ to actually sit in a theater to see it, unless of course I had a kid who I knew would enjoy it...
    I enjoyed watching my kid enjoy it... that WAS the best part.

The BEST of all these monster re-boots REMAINS, Peter Jackson's 2005 "King Kong." They just keep going downhill from there. At this point, I expect "King Kong vs. Godzilla" to be them having a tea party in Ellen Degeneres backyard, talking about their feelings and how "misunderstood" they are. Dr. Phil can moderate.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I enjoyed watching my kid enjoy it... that WAS the best part.

The BEST of all these monster re-boots REMAINS, Peter Jackson's 2005 "King Kong." They just keep going downhill from there. At this point, I expect "King Kong vs. Godzilla" to be them having a tea party in Ellen Degeneres backyard, talking about their feelings and how "misunderstood" they are. Dr. Phil can moderate.
    May be true, but as far as Godzilla is concerned, that has in fact been the underlying plot from the beginning, so it's actually appropriate here. Godzilla has always been a metaphor for man mucking with nature to his own detriment, so in this movie, didn't bother me. I thought they actually did a good job of trying in some much older Godzilla movies.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just want a Godzilla movie with the same gravitas as Godzilla 1985.

Godzilla was treated as a serious threat. Experimental weapons were used, nuclear contingencies were in effect, and at the end they toss his ass into a volcano and he shrieks with palpable pain and torment.

All true art is based upon destruction and nihilism. We dont need Navy SEALs, we dont need politically correct heros, we dont need affirmative action, we don't need all the extra.

We just need to see things beyond our control battling it out in our heavily populated cities with no real solution at hand.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I just want a Godzilla movie with the same gravitas as Godzilla 1985.

Godzilla was treated as a serious threat. Experimental weapons were used, nuclear contingencies were in effect, and at the end they toss his ass into a volcano and he shrieks with palpable pain and torment.

All true art is based upon destruction and nihilism. We dont need Navy SEALs, we dont need politically correct heros, we dont need affirmative action, we don't need all the extra.

We just need to see things beyond our control battling it out in our heavily populated cities with no real solution at hand.
    This is how I wish Pacific Rim played out

No hope. No plan. Just beasts infiltrating through the rift and laying waste to the planet. Giant robots are used in a last stand but in the end humanity is destroyed.

Movie ends.

Just magnificent annihilation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

**********************************************************************************************************************************

No problem , just wait till Nov 2020.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    This is how I wish Pacific Rim played out

No hope. No plan. Just beasts infiltrating through the rift and laying waste to the planet. Giant robots are used in a last stand but in the end humanity is destroyed.

Movie ends.

Just magnificent annihilation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sure, and even by #2 they'd run out of ideas and movie was meh. Decades of Godzilla movies present something of a challenge to make them any different from the last one in some way. This version does achieve that within the limits of the facts it's a giant silly monster and such.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    It delivered as a Godzilla movie. Almost everyone was there and the CGI was on point. The story made sense and tied the characters together. I only wish they'd have done a bit more with Mothra.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast