Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How resistant to losing zero is an Aimpoint supposed to be?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

How resistant to losing zero is an Aimpoint supposed to be?

A couple of weeks ago I was swapping optics around and put an Aimpoint Pro on the standard factory QRP-2 mount on one of my carbines. I took it to the range and zeroed the backup sights and then the Aimpoint.
    Fast forward to a couple days ago and I took the carbine with the Aimpoint out of the safe and leaned it against the wall so i could retrieve a different gun, and, wouldn't you know it, the carbine ended up falling over and smacking the wooden floor pretty good.
    This annoyed me because, OCD as I am (literally, I've been basically diagnosed with mild OCD) I now knew I needed to confirm zero on the optic even though I figured it was *probably* ok, because it's an Aimpoint.
    So I took it to the range today to check the POI, figuring it would be fine but knowing it needed to be checked "just in case" and as it turns out the POI did in fact seem to have shifted. At 50yards I had to go 3clicks UP and 3clicks RIGHT to get back on target. Prior to making the adjustments I removed the Aimpoint and reinstalled it as well. Not a huge deal, but I was somewhat disappointed it had shifted at all.
    Are Aimpoints supposed to be more shock resistant than that or is that loss of zero unsurprising considering the rifle and optic fell on the floor?
    I am still using the factory QRP-2, which I've heard described as an "OK" mount in terms of retaining zero, but not great.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 09-16-19 at 12:18.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Don’t blame the aimpoint the mount is the most likely culprit.

QRP mounts arent held in the highest regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I haven't had any issues, but a friend has.

Did you give the torque knob a couple of clicks after firing a few rounds during your initial zero?

OCD so same ammunition.

That is a 1" shift per an Aimpoint zero target, so was the lighting conditions and temperature the same?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    Don’t blame the aimpoint the mount is the most likely culprit.

QRP mounts arent held in the highest regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yeah I am somewhat more inclined to blame the mount than the optic per se.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I haven't had any issues, but a friend has.

Did you give the torque knob a couple of clicks after firing a few rounds during your initial zero?

OCD so same ammunition.

That is a 1" shift per an Aimpoint zero target, so was the lighting conditions and temperature the same?
    Same ammo, temperature and lighting pretty similar from what I recall of the day I did my original zeroing.

When I did the initial zero I put the Aimpoint on, and, while pushing forward on the mount, tightened the knob three clicks. Then I zeroed. The way I zero, I don't just get one group that hits where I want it and call it a day. Once I think I'm on, then I check for repeatability, usually firing several three- or five-shot groups on top of each other at both 50 and 100 yards.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I agree.. It's probably the mount but try this anyway. Take a hardwood dowel (3/4-1" dia and 8-10" long) to the range with you. After zeroing rap the scope 6-8 times in different places with the dowel. Sometimes the internal mechanisms that do the adjusting don't settle right. The fall may have jared everything into place. This is SOP with some acogs.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I had this same thing happen to me a few years ago. My gun was leaning on the coffee table, butt pad down, and fell over onto my Aimpoint C3. Knocked the sight 10-12 MOA out of zero.

Mine is in a Wilcox Mount. I really think the Aimpoint Micros are better suited for rough use.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    We%u2019ve got 50 Aimpoint pros on rifles at work. All in factory mounts since 2014. 3 clicks at 50 yards is 3/4 of an inch. That%u2019s not a huge shift for what I%u2019ve seen from a red dot. I%u2019ve seen changes in ammo lot numbers from year to year move more than that. With your general 3 to 4 moa ammo I would not loose sleep with 3/4 of an inch. Just the rail slop from front to back on the picatinny rail slot could move your impact a little if the mount slipped on the rail. David

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Not sure what the %u00252019 is in the above post. Won%u2019t let me edit it out either??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I had this same thing happen to me a few years ago. My gun was leaning on the coffee table, butt pad down, and fell over onto my Aimpoint C3. Knocked the sight 10-12 MOA out of zero.

Mine is in a Wilcox Mount. I really think the Aimpoint Micros are better suited for rough use.
    Yikes, 10-12 MOA, I guess I got off easy.

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    We%u2019ve got 50 Aimpoint pros on rifles at work. All in factory mounts since 2014. 3 clicks at 50 yards is 3/4 of an inch. That%u2019s not a huge shift for what I%u2019ve seen from a red dot. I%u2019ve seen changes in ammo lot numbers from year to year move more than that. With your general 3 to 4 moa ammo I would not loose sleep with 3/4 of an inch. Just the rail slop from front to back on the picatinny rail slot could move your impact a little if the mount slipped on the rail. David
    Yeah I know it's only 1.5MOA but I was just surprised something relatively minor like just falling over would be enough to cause a loss of zero considering the Aimpoint reputation and the fact the PRO is marketed for patrol use (Although I'm still more inclined to blame the mount, not the optic itself, but in the case of the PRO they are sold as one "duty ready" unit.).
    Have you experienced losses of zero due to impacts, drops, riding around in a cruiser etc.. on the PROs at your job?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    Not sure what the %u00252019 is in the above post. Won%u2019t let me edit it out either??
    Henry Standing Bear virus. No contractions allowed.

I doubt it would make a difference, but fairly sure the M68 manual (which my copy of has been misplaced) says to click QRP/QRP2 2 or 3 times after firing the first shot. Any issues should have been noticed considering your zero process, but could be worth a try.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast