Thread: FSB Replacement

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

FSB Replacement

I've got a barrel with no FSB -- it had a Larue GB on it when I got it but I want to go back with a standard FSB. It is drilled for pins -- looks like straight pins -- but it seems like would be tricky to get a new FSB and drill it to match. Is this doable or is it a lost cause? Does anybody have a recommendation for who might do this? This is going to be my first from-scratch build -- kind of a low-budget beater/learner project focused to make use of this barrel -- so I don't really want to spring for a new barrel assembly.

I suppose I could always go to a set-screw type railed gas block with a fixed sight on top but am not crazy about the idea. Partly because I don't like the set screws and partly because they just don't look right.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    It's almost a lost cause to mount a new FSB with those old holes in the way.

There are a couple clamp-on options though.
    Armalite makes a Clamp-on A2 type FSB.
    PRI and YHM have clamp-on flip-up front sights.

I quit doing FSB swaps and am now referring the work to Adco.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    As Randall said the YHM is a good option. It clamps over the bbl and uses 4 set screws. It's pretty nice. I've installed a few of these, they have a bayonet lug and a flip up front sight. I degrease everything and use Rocksett on the screws and then stake them to the FSB.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Thanks guys, that's kind of what I figured...

I will probably sell it off and go a different route. I was gonna do kind of a retroish A1 KISS type build with it and while it'll work fine with the railed or flipup gas blocks, it won't be what I wanted...
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    Well, you could always place it up for sale or trade.

Not sure what it is that you have, but I have a M4 contoured 14.5 colt barrel I am thinking of getting rid of. I might possibly consider a trade!
    Better known as "The CAC"!

"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully."

By: Lt Col Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C., RIP