Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HK to upgrade British SA80 rifles - again.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They clearly lack any understanding of sunk cost.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    They clearly lack any understanding of sunk cost.
    I think in a way it is almost like trying to retain a “British” identity. The SA80 comes from only one place. There’s a bit of sad irony.

I will say as I have said before that I got to spend a very very brief bit of time with one and I could not imagine actually using it for reals. One of the few in the US and certainly in the Southeast.

You can only shoot it right handed. As in it will bust you in the jaw if you don’t. It is certainly a LOT heavier than it looks. It feels awkward. Oof.

That said the SUSAT is something else. Very clear. Like ACOG clear but different. Had the post reticle.

If you force people to carry that; why not get 14.5 HK 416s? A bit front heavy but with an HKEY or G rail it more than evens out. ACOG. Boom call it a day.

Preferably the newer A5s that fix the SA80 style magwell.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    AFAIK, the manufacturer (RSAF-Enfield) of the SA80 is out of business, which is why the UK had to get H&K to do the A2 upgrades in the first place. So the life of the SA80 is finite at this point, anyway.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If I remember my gun lore correctly the SA80 was basically designed by a committee, some of which had never fired a rifle before.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    If I remember my gun lore correctly the SA80 was basically designed by a committee, some of which had never fired a rifle before.
    Technically, so was Glock. And Glocks are awesome.

Feedback Score
    This thread got me thinking about a stash of Imperial Defense steel SA80 magazines I have boxed up somewhere. Back during the AWB ban years I appropriated some of these and stashed them for a rainy day. I may dig them out and see how they run in one of my AR's. I have low expectations.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    This thread got me thinking about a stash of Imperial Defense steel SA80 magazines I have boxed up somewhere. Back during the AWB ban years I appropriated some of these and stashed them for a rainy day. I may dig them out and see how they run in one of my AR's. I have low expectations.
    Wasn't that around the time the British SS109 got imported with many claiming it was downloaded and would barely cycle AR-15's?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Wasn't that around the time the British SS109 got imported with many claiming it was downloaded and would barely cycle AR-15's?
    I bought 900 rounds of that Radway Green SS109 in a brown British ammo can way back when and it sat around for years before I finally shot it off a few years ago, never had any issues with it.

However I think there were a couple different batches of that stuff that came into the country, and some of it really was quite underpowered but some of it - like the stuff I had - was ok. I think the ok stuff could be distinguished by a "92" on the headstamp or something, and I think that's what was on the headstamps of mine "RORG 92" and maybe a NATO cross, I can't totally recall. Although I probably have most of the brass kicking around still

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Technically, so was Glock. And Glocks are awesome.
    Touché
    Last edited by Circle_10; 09-18-19 at 06:12.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like this quote from the warisboring article:

“To be fair, some British soldiers say the L85A2 — the most recent incarnation of the SA80 assault rifle — is reliable most of the time.

Still, past versions of the SA80 were notorious for their stoppages, particularly in harsh environments found on a typical battlefield. The rifle frequently had “bits” that would break or fall off the weapon. There are even stories of fixed bayonets “going ballistic” when soldiers opened fire.”

How is something reliable most of the time? Do you know when that is or is it unpredictable, thus not reliable?

Bits that would break or fall off!!! Like the mags dropping unexpectedly.

Pour more money into that sweetness!!
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I did an exchange with the Royal Marine Commandos, I wanted to carry the SA80, but was issued a M-16. I shot it, plenty, definitely did not fall in love with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast