Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkey (the country) Recommendations, "Don't"s, etc.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Turkey (the country) Recommendations, "Don't"s, etc.

I'm heading to Turkey later this year. Just spending a few days in Istanbul, but I may try for a day trip to Ephesus or Gallipoli. Any recommendations for things to see, where to eat, etc.? Anything I should be aware of beforehand culturally, customarily, etc.? I realize it's probably not the best place to visit at the moment, but I've wanted to go for years and keeps getting worse, so I'm taking my chances now.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Go to the army museum in Istanbul, it is GREAT.

A integral suppressed lever action rifle, was a thrill.

Feedback Score
    Okay, you asked for a "don't".

Don't go there?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    One of the officers I work with is married to a Turkish national, with 20+ year old dual citizenship. They go to Turkey at least once a year to visit family. She’s said that Turkey, especially the big cities like Ankara, are very modern and much like US big cities. She also said there is still a Muslim base to a lot of the culture, but much like contemporary Christianity, most are not devout and it does not look at all like is portrayed in media for middle eastern countries. She’s a six foot blonde and blue bombshell and wears jeans and high heels and has never had a problem in a dozen years.

Third party info, but I hope it helps.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Okay, you asked for a "don't".

Don't go there?
    ^^^SECONDED.

I go NOWHERE, where the mohammedans outnumber me. Ephesus, Iraq, Afghanistan, Dearborn - just TOO dangerous. Particularly if I can't go there ARMED!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The great mystery for me was how that country could simultaneously have both the most beautiful and the ugliest women in the world.

Feedback Score
    Redheads?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    The great mystery for me was how that country could simultaneously have both the most beautiful and the ugliest women in the world.
    I think Russia holds that distinction.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    If you are compelled to go, wear European-style clothes and be the Gray Man. Some beautiful areas in Istanbul, street food is incredible and cheap. Crossover of ME and Mediterranean. All that said, I hate Turkey.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Close relative lived in Turkey for years. Speaks Turkish, loves (most) of the people.

Then 3-4 years ago it got too bad, was pulled back by his company. Now in country work is done by locals.

Even before it got "bad" they had a couple of episodes of being hauled to the Police dept for no reason and had to get help to get out.

So no go, for me. Many places I still want to see that are lower risk but also have amazing things.

I hope it changes, but until regime (cultural) changes occur, I'll not be going. Same for Morroco, Egypt, etc.

The majority of people can be pro-western, and have modern cities. Iran and Turkey are similar in that regard.

But a minority in power, and anti west/US, not worth the risk. Plus contingents tolerated/protected who are sworn to kill infidels and the great satan (you and I)

Not saying turkey=iran, just that the risk is a matter of extreme, but is on the same axis and nature.

The way i explained it to my kids who wanted to visit a risky country: if Arizona had rattlesnakes that ignored locals, but bit and killed 1 out of 5000 tourists, would you go? Or even 10k? No, you'd go visit other states you've not seen and hope it changes.

The fact the majority of people are nice and wont hurt you does not change the fact there are some who are actively looking for opportunities to kill westerners. And now have some protection for the powers that be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast