Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Allen wrench source?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Brownells. The older I get the little extra cash you spend at Brownells is worth every penny especially for tools. Everything you buy there is guaranteed for life and their tools are outstanding. Pay $50 for Edge which is their amazon prime and you get 2 day free shipping on all orders.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    It is kind of like a U-joint in a drive shaft. You don’t have to perfectly line up on the socket head. You don’t want to get crazy torquing them down with the ball end, running them in/out is faster though. Especially if the socket is next to a flat surface and the stubby end would hit flat surface when spinning it. Just lean the wrench out a little and go to town.
    Aren't those included with some of the Magpul light mounts? Ball end plus a super short armed standard end? Been awhile since I have moved one, but seems like where I saw that combination.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    McMaster Carr has something for just about everything.
    Fairly sure they are a source for Spirol pins Iraq Gunz always recommended.
    True story, also gas key and gas block screws.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I can personally vouch for Bondhus allen wrenches. We used them every day in our shop and have had very few issues. They are quality tools.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That kind of depends on what you're using such tools for. ANY steel Allen wrench can be pretty good or pretty awful, because different styles of tools are intended for different tasks.

I have a set of SAE and metric Allen wrenches I paid a modest amount for quite a long time ago, probably from Lowes or Home Depot. I use the correct wrench for the size of fastener and I've never had either a wrench or fastener slip, strip or fail with them. Part of that is that I KNOW I can "gorilla" things into place, so I don't force anything.

I'm not saying a really well made Allen wrench isn't a good investment. I'm saying that there's a place for inexpensive tools - as long as you know what you're doing with them, and what they are capable of. Precision work, and applying fairly heavy loads are NOT places for inexpensive tools. But that little Allen wrench you use to adjust a holographic sight? As long as it fits, why worry about who made it?

With all of that said, when you're talking about basic tools like Allen wrenches, even the "name brand" tools are so priced only a little higher than the "cheapies," so the real key is to know what brands are worth spending a couple of buck more for.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Snap-On, Matco, Cromwell.

Firm believer in buy once, cry once for tools.

Feedback Score
    No quarrel here. But I’m not going to throw away serviceable tools (for light duty) just because I can buy “nicer” ones. Like I said, know the limits of what you have, stick to them, and that $8 set of Allen wrenches will be fine. And when you need sturdier, more precise tools, go to Matco or whomever.

One note: many of us don’t have direct access to a Snap-On or Matco vendor. I might have a completely different set of go-to tools if I did.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Wiha bits and sets on amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great shit. Unless you want Snap-On for mucho. I have both.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    In addition to the random tangle of hex keys in a little box in my tool bag, I have these:

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-66992-Ma.../dp/B07YYLDW15

which are worth every penny, and never lent out.

Feedback Score
    I always used Unbrako when I was a machinist. Compared to Craftsman they last forever. The Craftsman were too hard and always snapped, now days they are probably baby soft like basically any steel tool or screw at Lowes or HD. Unbrako are made to ISO and ASME specs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast