Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Wilson's 300 HAM'R

Has anyone shot a 300 HAM'R yet?

It looks like a very interesting round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u69ZzdZni28

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Another ultra-proprietary niche cartridge offering a tiny incremental benefit over more common cartridges? Sign me up!

Seriously, this is calculated to separate rich wannabe's from their money, much like proprietary magnum cartridges.

Let me know when this is adopted by the US Army and I can buy ammo from 10 different companies for 50 cents/rd. With the wide range of .308 AR offerings now I just don't see the point in going with something ultra proprietary. But if this were common and cheap, it would be very interesting.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Another ultra-proprietary niche cartridge offering a tiny incremental benefit over more common cartridges? Sign me up!

Seriously, this is calculated to separate rich wannabe's from their money, much like proprietary magnum cartridges.

Let me know when this is adopted by the US Army and I can buy ammo from 10 different companies for 50 cents/rd. With the wide range of .308 AR offerings now I just don't see the point in going with something ultra proprietary. But if this were common and cheap, it would be very interesting.
    I'm not against innovation--without it, everything just stagnates.

But that said, in the case of this cartridge, I agree. It seems to target a niche group of Wilson customers. Not even remotely interested as it adds nothing I need. Ballistically, looked at the numbers on this compared to .300BO, 6.5, 6.8, etc., and not quite sure why Wilson even bothered with it. It's hardly advancing the plot over anything else already available, maybe small improvements or optimization for hunting compared to say .300BO, but definitely not a game changer. I would be shocked if this caliber really takes off and sells a lot of rifles for them. If people want a cartridge that lets you hunt medium-sized game, and also extends the lethal range of your AR, we already have quite a few good choices. I'm trying out a 6.5 G upper, IMHO it offers the most flexibility for a 'beyond 5.56' caliber.

Feedback Score
    When it comes to necking up the 5.56 case, the only one I've been truly impressed with has been the .277 Wolverine.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    Those of you bashing the 300 HAM'R obviously haven't shot one. It totally leaves the Blackout in the dust when comparing super sonic loads and within 250yds the terminal performance exceeds that of the 6.8SPC and 6.5G. I've now killed over 800 hogs, 30+ deer, bull Elk, Addax, Oryx, Wildebeest, Zebra, Kudu, Hartebeest, Waterbuck, Gemsbuck, Warthog, Hyena, Impala, Baboon, etc.... with the cartridge, so I'm talking from experience, not theory here. While in South Africa last July I took 25 animals with 26 shots using a 16" barrel carbine. Accuracy is superb, recoil is mild and function is flawless. While 300 HAM'R headstamp cases are being produced by both Sig and Starline, they can easily be made from common 5.56 cases. The cartridge is extremely versatile with 31 bullets available that are compatible, so there is a bullet for any purpose. Our sales of guns, uppers and especially barrels and ammo has been very good, it's been one of the best new product launches we've ever had. There will be big news on the cartridge at the upcoming SHOT show in Jan so stay tuned.....

Here's a good thread with lots of information: https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/...mr#Post7506626

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWilson View Post
    Those of you bashing the 300 HAM'R obviously haven't shot one. It totally leaves the Blackout in the dust when comparing super sonic loads and within 250yds the terminal performance exceeds that of the 6.8SPC and 6.5G. I've now killed over 800 hogs, 30+ deer, bull Elk, Addax, Oryx, Wildebeest, Zebra, Kudu, Hartebeest, Waterbuck, Gemsbuck, Warthog, Hyena, Impala, Baboon, etc.... with the cartridge, so I'm talking from experience, not theory here. While in South Africa last July I took 25 animals with 26 shots using a 16" barrel carbine. Accuracy is superb, recoil is mild and function is flawless. While 300 HAM'R headstamp cases are being produced by both Sig and Starline, they can easily be made from common 5.56 cases. The cartridge is extremely versatile with 31 bullets available that are compatible, so there is a bullet for any purpose. Our sales of guns, uppers and especially barrels and ammo has been very good, it's been one of the best new product launches we've ever had. There will be big news on the cartridge at the upcoming SHOT show in Jan so stay tuned.....

Here's a good thread with lots of information: https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/...mr#Post7506626
    Bill,

I would like a 16.5" threaded barrel for a bolt gun. I hunt with an OSS HX-QD 762 Ti Suppressor. I think this would be a Great Deer rifle in Pa. Do you have any plans to offer barrels for bolt action rifles. If you do please let me know what action and I will buy one and send it to you. I think you need to expand you 300 HAM'R to bolt action hunters.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by md66948 View Post
    Bill,

I would like a 16.5" threaded barrel for a bolt gun. I hunt with an OSS HX-QD 762 Ti Suppressor. I think this would be a Great Deer rifle in Pa. Do you have any plans to offer barrels for bolt action rifles. If you do please let me know what action and I will buy one and send it to you. I think you need to expand you 300 HAM'R to bolt action hunters.
    We have already built Kimber 84, Ruger American and Howa mini-action guns. So we're working on it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWilson View Post
    We have already built Kimber 84, Ruger American and Howa mini-action guns. So we're working on it.
    I will contact your company in the very near future about a barrel.

Feedback Score
    It seems like a good hunting round, but does it offer anything in the tactical/defense realm that would make anyone want to take it over the 5.56, .300 BLK, 6.8 SPC, etc? For me, I would be interested in a round that offered better supersonic performance than the .300 BLK (which I find underwhelming in terms of ballistics), but could also do halfway decent subsonic performance.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    It seems like a good hunting round, but does it offer anything in the tactical/defense realm that would make anyone want to take it over the 5.56, .300 BLK, 6.8 SPC, etc? For me, I would be interested in a round that offered better supersonic performance than the .300 BLK (which I find underwhelming in terms of ballistics), but could also do halfway decent subsonic performance.
    The round is ideal for personal defense and/or LE use especially since you can't justify shooting at someone attacking you from long range and most LE use is under 100yds. With over 30 bullets of 95-150gr to choose from there is a bullet for every application. You can have rapid expansion with low penetration or 100% weight retention and deep penetration or something in between. There are several WC videos on Youtube that show terminal performance on anything from watermelon to shooting through car window glass.

Plus features over the calibers you mentioned are:

No loss of magazine capacity (not so for 6.5 or 6.8)
    Huge choice of bullet type and weight (95-150gr)
    Compare for example: A .30cal bullet of 110gr/2700fps, 125gr/2525fps or 150gr bullet at 2300fps to the other calibers
    Mild recoil, the heaviest 300 loads are comparable to the 6.8
    Which would you rather have if faced with a drug crazed threat? .224" dia 77gr at 2700fps or 308" dia 110gr at 2700fps

Negatives:

Doesn't shoot as flat as a heavy bullet 5.56 or the 6.5G (not really a factor for defense or LE use)
    Not designed for subsonic loads (this only compares to the Blackout and is of NO interest to me personally)
    Ammo not widely available (you will see this change early next year)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast