Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wilson's 300 HAM'R

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWilson View Post
    The round is ideal for personal defense and/or LE use especially since you can't justify shooting at someone attacking you from long range and most LE use is under 100yds. With over 30 bullets of 95-150gr to choose from there is a bullet for every application. You can have rapid expansion with low penetration or 100% weight retention and deep penetration or something in between. There are several WC videos on Youtube that show terminal performance on anything from watermelon to shooting through car window glass.

Plus features over the calibers you mentioned are:

No loss of magazine capacity (not so for 6.5 or 6.8)
    Huge choice of bullet type and weight (95-150gr)
    Compare for example: A .30cal bullet of 110gr/2700fps, 125gr/2525fps or 150gr bullet at 2300fps to the other calibers
    Mild recoil, the heaviest 300 loads are comparable to the 6.8
    Which would you rather have if faced with a drug crazed threat? .224" dia 77gr at 2700fps or 308" dia 110gr at 2700fps

Negatives:

Doesn't shoot as flat as a heavy bullet 5.56 or the 6.5G (not really a factor for defense or LE use)
    Not designed for subsonic loads (this only compares to the Blackout and is of NO interest to me personally)
    Ammo not widely available (you will see this change early next year)
    Personal focus is as you say in bold, 100 yards and under. If the terminal ballistics is superior to 300blk, 6.8, or 5.56, fired from an AR platform with low recoil, it sounds like a real promising rnd for SD/HM and real world distances a civi might find themselves. I rarely pay any attention to latest greatest niche loads, but this one sounds really interesting. I hope it catches on.

The CC rnd sounds like an excellent SD/HD rnd no?
    Last edited by WillBrink; 11-08-19 at 18:32.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I have never been an AR fan. My stepson built me a 5.56 bout 3 years ago, I worked with it (loads) and found a load that I called good ( for my use). I saw some posts about the 300 Ham'r and was interested. The round reminded me of the 7 TCU , a 223 case necked up to the 7mm bullets. This was used primarily in the IMSSA competition, with targets out to 200 meters or 200 yds. for pistols with iron sights ONLY. If you hit the target & it didn't fall, you had missed as far as score went. The ram at the 200 yds was always the hardest to put down, weight was approx. 70 lbs.
    With the 300 Ham'r I saw a very similar cartridge plus in a rifle configuration. I decided to purchase an upper and put it on my AR lower. I am glad I did!!! It is a sweet shooting combination and I hope to take down several deer this coming week in Ark. with it. Mild recoil and 250 yds range and that is about max in my neck of the woods (NE Texas), Inexpensive to load but the one negative I have found is loss of brass in the actual hunting world. Hope that will be solved when the bolt guns hit the market. I hope it is very soon, I want one NOW. BTW Bill Wilson is the no BS type person, You can write it on the wall when he says something about firearms (his or anyone else's).
    Find someone that has a 300 Ham'r and give it a try, like Lays potato chips, I bet you can't do it just one time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a 7.62x40WT and don't see a huge benefit going to the 300HAMR. What am I missing besides 100~150FPS?

Feedback Score
    Not knowing what a 7.62x40WT is I can't answer that question but how much of a benefit do you need to try a new gun/caliber?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    I have a 7.62x40WT and don't see a huge benefit going to the 300HAMR. What am I missing besides 100~150FPS?
    Availability of caliber specific cases, +/- 150fps and a little bit of accuracy due to the 1-15 twist being a little more accurate than the 1-12. Come Jan 19 there will be another + that I can't talk about now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BWilson View Post
    Availability of caliber specific cases, +/- 150fps and a little bit of accuracy due to the 1-15 twist being a little more accurate than the 1-12. Come Jan 19 there will be another + that I can't talk about now.
    Whoopie, Maybe a bolt gun????? Crying shame I will have spent all my money on Christmas!!!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DLALLDER View Post
    Whoopie, Maybe a bolt gun????? Crying shame I will have spent all my money on Christmas!!!!!
    I would like to see a light weight bolt gun with a 16" threaded barrel.

Feedback Score
    For Immediate Release

Wilson Combat is excited to announce that the 300 HAM’R cartridge, originally developed in 2018, has been accepted by SAAMI as a standardized cartridge.

The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Institute, Inc. (SAAMI), is the organization at the forefront of promoting firearm safety by creating standards that ensure safety, reliability and interchangeability of firearms, ammunition and components.

The .30 caliber cartridge is designed to optimize performance of 95gr-150gr bullets and to function in the AR15 platform. Muzzle velocities range from 2280fps to 2770fps out of a 16” barrel depending on bullet weight. The cartridge operates at a maximum average pressure of 57,500psi.

Designed for self defense, law enforcement and hunting applications, the terminal performance of the cartridge is comparable to the legendary .30-30 Winchester. However, the 300 HAM’R has a substantially flatter trajectory due to the higher ballistic coefficient of the bullets used.

In addition, Wilson Combat would like to publicly thank Starline Brass of Sedalia, MO, Western Powders of Miles City, MT and Sig Sauer Ammunition of Jacksonville, AR for their assistance during development and an extra thanks to Sig Sauer Ammunition for submitting the cartridge to SAAMI.

About Wilson Combat:

Wilson Combat has been in business since 1977 and is an industry leading manufacturer of high quality firearms for self protection, law enforcement, military and recreational use. Headquartered in Berryville, Arkansas Wilson Combat manufactures cutting edge handguns, rifles, shotguns, firearm accessories and ammunition. Visit WILSONCOMBAT.COM for more information.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Congrats Bill.

This looks like a great option.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Excellent!

Now maybe we will see a major arms manufacture build some bolt action rifles in 300 HAM'R for PA White Tail.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast