Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 Brands that get no discussion here

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I have not price compared but I'd assume they're in line with other premium ARs price wise. If I were to get a premium AR, it would be a KAC and call it a day.
    I should have clarified. I meant that I didn't know Barrett made anything but the 50 and that one is out of my price range

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    If that were the case, I'd think nobody here would be talking about brands like BCM, LMT, and Sionics either, all of which typically cost north of $1k for a complete rifle.

It's a good question, I don't know why. I've never really considered them myself, but in my case, it's because I generally don't buy complete AR's. I get quality barrels/bcg's typically BCM, then put together franken-rifles with the parts I want.

My theory? Groups of people--including online forums--form hierarchies and a 'culture' of their own. On a gun forum, those will include brand preferences just like we have here. Some are favored, some are panned, some are just ignored (maybe because people have little experience with them, not necessarily because they're bad quality).
    I assumed he was trolling. Qs like that get down to why buy anything if X can do that too for less $. The reason is, cuz we can. Some, the basic tool is all they want need (and my only AR is a Colt 6490) and some want premium stuff for their own reason, like my Tudor watch vs a Timex and the custom 1911s I had when I shooting 1911s a lot.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Well familiar with LBC ARs as they were an early Grendel player.

My read from then and reconfirmed on an ongoing basis is that they do not make hard use guns, they will happily compromise reliability for accuracy, etc.

The heart of their beef with Alexander arms over Grendel was their hell bent desire to not use the compound throat that made the Grendel accurate with a wide range of bullet weights and shapes. And in fact would tell you that their Grendel's were optimized to shoot only two specific loadings accurately, and that all bets are off on everything else.

Bill Alexander had expended well over a million rounds of ammunition in testing Grendel in a wide range of hard use situations at that point. (Including cold soak, steel case and extensive FA testing). That's what led to the compound throat and some of the other final Grendel decisions. LBC was wanting to make compromises that would negatively impact perceptions. Part of the licensing agreement was you couldn't compromise the design. So LBC terminated the agreement and named his variant the 264 LBC.

If you are a paper puncher content with shooting with just two bullets at very specific seating depths, you might like their rifles. But that's not my desire, and my Grendel's have proven to be a great compromise of accuracy and reliability.

My understanding is their 1911's are beautiful, and I could see a gunsmith touch making a difference with those.

But all their gunsmith magic pixie dust they applied to ARs are exactly the kind of things that I do not want.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    My guess was gonna be, "POF, Doublestar, and ATI."

You went the high-end boutique route, however.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    The Wilson stuff looks nice; definitely seem like the Lexus version of a standard Toyota model, so priced accordingly. Didn’t know LB made AR’s. Never seen a Barrett AR in person, but coughed when pricing them recently vs an LMT with unique features like the monolithic rail. I don’t think I would personally be intrigued by a Barrett AR.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I should have clarified. I meant that I didn't know Barrett made anything but the 50 and that one is out of my price range
    That you didn't even know they made ARs may indicate why they get so little attention.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My thoughts are that the 3 companies core competencies aren't in the AR realm, and you would be simply paying a premium for the names which are known well for other platforms. They're boutique guns that, AT BEST, could only match the performance of a BCM or Colt.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Barrett AR’s are top notch!
    I bought a REC 7 DI about a year and a half ago from Buds $1300
    Ran it through a couple rifle classes and ran like a champ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I always discounted les bear because it looks like a bushmaster with a $2200 price tag.

Id rather get one of the standard brands and save $ or spend a little more for a KAC.
    Maybe Im wrong though.

Feedback Score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast