Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you look for before replacing your gas rings?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

What do you look for before replacing your gas rings?

I’ve never replaced gas rings in any Bolt I own. I suspect my oldest, a 1B1B6 BCG which was...found... probably has over 15,000 rounds through it. There is zero resistance when it is placed in the Carrier.

But the gun shoots. So I leave it alone.

I guess if it started short stroking I’d trouble shoot but I’d also like to replace them before it got to that point.

Related question: have you ever had gas rings wear out to the point your rifle no longer worked reliably?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    See if they hold up the bcg when you stand it on the bolt. If not, replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I’ve never replaced gas rings in any Bolt I own. I suspect my oldest, a 1B1B6 BCG which was...found... probably has over 15,000 rounds through it. There is zero resistance when it is placed in the Carrier.

I guess if it started short stroking I’d trouble shoot but I’d also like to replace them before it got to that point.

Related question: have you ever had gas rings wear out to the point your rifle no longer worked reliably?
    Nope, but I'm sure I dont shoot as much as you. Never even seen a broken one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    See if they hold up the bcg when you stand it on the bolt. If not, replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I replace my rings if they fail this check, however I've never had a gun malfunction due to worn out gas rings. It's just something preventative that i do.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I once had a Colt 14.5 that was my primary which ran so well. We had a bad snow one night and the mil students didn't show so the boss said maintain your gear and go home (glad we got paid by the day back then) When I took it apart, it had one gas ring left in it. It ran 100% prior to, so I removed the last sliver, put three new ones in and drove on. I don't recall if I tested the rings on this rifle or not. Testing is more stringent than the mil version, fully assembled big, bolt extended and placed bolt face down, has to support own weight. Of course I had to go out in the min 1foot of snow and melt some with brass.

Believe it or not, I had a factory new Bushmaster Shorty AK, long ago, logged between 23-25 K through it, would still pass a 40 round Qual and hit 12x12 steel at 400 when I sold it with disclaimer of round count. I could count malfunctions on one hand and never replaced a single part. This was around 2003-4
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

I could argue that a very well used gun could probably run without any gas rings under normal conditions. You can but you shouldn't since a set gas rings costs less than a dollar.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There are several valid checks of bolt rings. My most common is putting the assembled and lubricated bolt in the unassembled carrier and holding it vertically by the bolt. If the carrier falls off, replace all 3 rings.

A properly manufactured gun will run on one ring. I've seen broken rings both stay in place until disassembled, and get bobbled up inside stopping the gun. Stuff happens.

When in doubt, just replace them.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    There are several valid checks of bolt rings. My most common is putting the assembled and lubricated bolt in the unassembled carrier and holding it vertically by the bolt. If the carrier falls off, replace all 3 rings.

A properly manufactured gun will run on one ring. I've seen broken rings both stay in place until disassembled, and get bobbled up inside stopping the gun. Stuff happens.

I guess I was waiting for a failure to replace one, but I think every AR15 I own would fail that test. Most have absolutely zero resistance between the bolt and carrier. Frankly, I thought that was normal. I don’t really “inspect” my rifles, but I probably should.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

What do you look for before replacing your gas rings?

I have a fairly new BCM 11.5 that I placed a new BCM BCG in. They have been mated together from day one.

While no malfunctions, I noticed after routine inspection after about 900 rounds, it failed the test. So, I replaced the rings. Tightened it up. However, I noticed after only about another 500 rounds, it again failed the test.

What would cause the rings to wear so quickly? Again, it shoots fine but is that indicative of anything I need to be aware of? Never had this scenario with other bolts and gas rings. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)

If it stops working replace it. If it works then it is good. Don't over think it.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast