Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you look for before replacing your gas rings?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pomyc View Post
    I have a fairly new BCM 11.5 that I placed a new BCM BCG in. They have been mated together from day one.

While no malfunctions, I noticed after routine inspection after about 900 rounds, it failed the test. So, I replaced the rings. Tightened it up. However, I noticed after only about another 500 rounds, it again failed the test.

What would cause the rings to wear so quickly? Again, it shoots fine but is that indicative of anything I need to be aware of? Never had this scenario with other bolts and gas rings. Thx.
    Check chrome lining inside of a carrier bore for any cracks or machining marks. If surface is not perfectly mirror it will eat gas rings just as you said every 500-1000 rounds.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pomyc View Post
    I have a fairly new BCM 11.5 that I placed a new BCM BCG in. They have been mated together from day one.

While no malfunctions, I noticed after routine inspection after about 900 rounds, it failed the test. So, I replaced the rings. Tightened it up. However, I noticed after only about another 500 rounds, it again failed the test.

What would cause the rings to wear so quickly? Again, it shoots fine but is that indicative of anything I need to be aware of? Never had this scenario with other bolts and gas rings. Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have a BCM carbine upper that doesn't have a particularly high round count (Under 3k rounds I think) that has eaten a couple sets of gas rings now too, the first set was worn out after about 500 rounds. As with yours, it never caused any malfs but was just something I discovered during routine maintenance.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    If it stops working replace it. If it works then it is good. Don't over think it.
    I suppose you wouldnt want it to stop working right in the middle of a defensive use though.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    I suppose you wouldnt want it to stop working right in the middle of a defensive use though.

ANYTHING can fail at any time. Be ready for it, have a plan, and train for it.

That is the difference between a hobby and a profession.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    If it stops working replace it. If it works then it is good. Don't over think it.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that none of your buddies are airplane mechanics.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    ANYTHING can fail at any time. Be ready for it, have a plan, and train for it.

That is the difference between a hobby and a profession.
    True, we should be prepared for any and everything. Hopefully a pistol is available as a backup. I was thinking more along the lines of preventative maintence to avoid ever running the gun until it stops.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Still on my original rings on my slotty Colt. Dude who taught Colt armorer course said it really isn’t something to get too anal about. But depending on volume of use and carbon; at some point they may need changing. Its not hard and no they don’t need to be staggered but I do it anyways because reasons.

I had to do that to one upper I got that was previously used on a FA lower. Tube too. Easy peasy.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you need gas rings then G&R has what you need:

https://www.gandrtactical.com/BCM-Ga...s-3_p_105.html

Cheap enough to keep a few sets on hand.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    After 15 years, this is what the gas rings looked like, on the LMT enhanced bolt in my test gun. 1 of the 3 rings is missing, 1 is severely deformed (actually fell apart upon examination), which left 1 well worn ring on the bolt. When the bolt dropped into the carrier, there was hardly any resistance.

And it still functioned.

I replaced the rings of course, but it goes to show you the brilliance of the original 3 separate/independent ring design, it offers the most fail safe and redundancy. I would not use a one piece, spiral gas ring. The TDP spec 3 ring setup won't "unspool", it's not something that needs to be "improved" which often does the opposite.

We (FCD) were looking at possibly making improved gas rings, but given how reliable and durable the 3 ring design is, the proposed thicker ring (we'd have 2, not 3) would be more durable than the thinner TDP spec ring, but we'd give up the fail safe provided by the extra ring. Not a compelling reason to mess with the 3 ring design.

IMG_0285.jpg
    Last edited by Duffy; 09-20-19 at 10:22.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Every time I shoot my rifles I clean them, and inspect the components. If the gas rings look damaged or too worn out, I'll replace them. But I don't replace them on a set interval.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast