Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ad Astra (2019)

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Ad Astra (2019)

Comes out this weekend actually.

https://youtu.be/kbZZqns47VU

I haven’t read much into the plot as I prefer to go into a movie oblivious.

But as far as genres go this is right in my wheel house so I’m hoping it doesn’t suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Here's to hoping for the next Interstellar.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Ad Astra (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Big facts

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Review by our local Austin indie rag: https://www.austinchronicle.com/even...9-20/ad-astra/
    I plan on seeing it anyway because I frequently don't agree with their reviews.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    That's my hope, too. I've been looking forward to seeing it (Ad Astra).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Ad Astra (Review)

Ad Astra wants desperately to be deep, philosophical, profound, and existential, and it misses the market totally. This movie is a big mess with disjointed action scenes that are unrelated to the plot (shown if the trailers to get people to see it) which drags on and on through one implausible event after another. We get long internal monologues from Pitt on the meaning of existence his inability to form close relationships with people, and so forth.

The visuals/CGI range from breathtakingly beautiful to cheesy and cheep looking. The build up to the grand finale at the outer reaches of the solar system so anti climatic I looked at my watch to see when this movie would end, and that's never a good sign.

The all star cast does their best to make it work, and Pitt is always compelling when on screen, but none of them could save this movie from itself. Finally, and there's zero excuse for this in 2019, there was a lot of bad science in this movie all of which could have been avoided by consulting someone from NASA etc who are always happy to see good science being had in such movies.

I had high hopes for this movie (and made the rare trip to a movie theater to see it...) but it as not to be. It's clear director James Gray was attempting to make this generations 2001. He failed and failed badly. Oh, and critics will love this movie cuz it makes them seem edgy and woke. C+

- Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Ad Astra wants desperately to be deep, philosophical, profound, and existential, and it misses the market totally. This movie is a big mess with disjointed action scenes that are unrelated to the plot (shown if the trailers to get people to see it) which drags on and on through one implausible event after another. We get long internal monologues from Pitt on the meaning of existence his inability to form close relationships with people, and so forth.

The visuals/CGI range from breathtakingly beautiful to cheesy and cheep looking. The build up to the grand finale at the outer reaches of the solar system so anti climatic I looked at my watch to see when this movie would end, and that's never a good sign.

The all star cast does their best to make it work, and Pitt is always compelling when on screen, but none of them could save this movie from itself. Finally, and there's zero excuse for this in 2019, there was a lot of bad science in this movie all of which could have been avoided by consulting someone from NASA etc who are always happy to see good science being had in such movies.

I had high hopes for this movie (and made the rare trip to a movie theater to see it...) but it as not to be. It's clear director James Gray was attempting to make this generations 2001. He failed and failed badly. Oh, and critics will love this movie cuz it makes them seem edgy and woke. C+
    Your review overall pretty much mirrors the review from our local inde rag I posted in the other thread that only gave it 2 out of 5 stars.
    Last edited by austinN4; 09-21-19 at 18:13.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    Your review overall pretty much mirrors the review from our local inde rag in the other thread that only gave it 2 out of 5 stars.
    Good deal. I have seen rave reviews from the main stream rags.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Seems odd having two threads

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Tldr... version

Dad had aspergers...

Couldn't end mission

That's it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast