Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR Build Thoughts

Feedback Score

AR Build Thoughts

Hello all.

Currently working on "building" my first AR15 (first bought and/or built). How does this set up sound to all the fanatics on here

-BCM BFH 16" Mid Length (ENHANCED Light Weight) Upper Receiver Group w/ BCM MCMR-13 Handguard

-SIONICS Gutless Lower Receiver Assembly (with the SIONICS 2 stage trigger and mag catch assembly options)

-Daniel Defense Collapsible Buttstock

-Daniel Defense Overmolded Pistol Grip

-Magpul Industries MLOK Angled Foregrip

I realize this isn't building an AR as much as putting together the already complete parts, but what do y'all think? good rifle set up? thoughts or suggestions? It will be an all purpose tool, everything from range shooting to self defense.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I’m absolutely stunned that someone would willingly buy Daniel Defense furniture.

Stunned.

Feedback Score
    As I said, first AR. I would really appreciate it if you would let me know why, and what a good replacement would be. (not being sassy, I honestly want to know. from what I've read it seemed to have a good reputation)

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Well, if you absolutely do not want to purchase your first rifle complete, you’re going about things the right way.

You are missing a very important part: the bolt carrier group (BCG). My suggestion would be to order with the BCM upper. If you want a cool one, Sionics has their NP3 BCG.

Also, you will need a charging handle. I suggest getting the Radian Raptor or Raptor LT on sale. Or just order from BCM with the upper.

Finally, you will need a sighting solution. I suggest the Daniel Defense fixed set. You can then keep these in place when you run a red dot, so you have redundancy. If you are planning to use a low power variable optic (LPVO), any set of folding sights will work, though I like the Magpul Pro set,

On the DD furniture, I personally like how they look, but the grip feels too narrow for my hand to be comfortable. The stock gets some hate. But overall, there’s nothing wrong with the DD furniture and you could always sell the set if you decide to try something different.
    Personally, the best furniture is the Magpul SL-S stock and K2 grip.

Regarding the angled fore grip, I had one for a while, but eventually removed. It isn’t necessary.

Also, not sure if Sionics would let you order the lower with an A5 receiver extension, but if they do, that would be the preferred choice.
    Last edited by JediGuy; 09-20-19 at 06:32.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply! Ya I forgot to mention, I am indeed getting both the BCG and the charging handle with the BCM upper. I will look into those sights. What's the reason for the hate on the stock? Is it flimsy or weak? Thank you.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    What would I do differently?? I wouldn't spend more for the hammer forged barrel and I would buy this>https://www.gandrtactical.com/BCM-Lower_p_155.html from Grant.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I believe it generally relates to the way the rubberized grip material on the stock looks and feels. However, someone else would have to chime in with experience.

Feedback Score
    I agree on just getting the BCM lower from Grant unless you simply want to build the lower for fun or educational purposes...which is fine. Then I would just use the stock BCM GI trigger and then get a Geissele later if you want. There isn’t really any company that has made match grade triggers that are also combat grade....so for me there is little reason to chose anything but Geissele to replace a GI one.

As mentioned the BCG and barrel are the single most important ingredients in a build. BCM BCGs are known to be top tier so I would just match one of those up to your barrel.

Many find DD furniture hideously ugly and you don’t often see people with it unless they bought a DD rifle and it came that way. That is probably the root of the comment made above. I’m sure it works just fine and is built well.
    Last edited by OldState; 09-20-19 at 07:28.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I’m absolutely stunned that someone would willingly buy Daniel Defense furniture.

Stunned.
    lol, I thought the same thing, just spit up on my computer.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    It’s less about the looks (while it is absolutely hideous) and more about the feel.

That stuff gets worn down when you use gloves and the rifle is sandy. It tends to stick, which is I guess what you want in a grip, but I don’t enjoy that on my face. The shape isn’t very ergonomic (or at least takes a lot of getting used to).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast