Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Aluminum Black smell like Cold Blue?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Using cold blue on an aluminum lower can best be described as trying to piss up a rope! Cold blue is for steel and it ain't very good for that either. Aluma Black is nothing more than expensive paint. If you cannot justify the cost of Cerakote an 8 dollar can of mat black Krylon is probably your best bet. BTW, WTF does smell have to do with anything?
    I think you’re thinking of Aluma-Hyde from Brownells, which is is spray-on coating. Aluminum Black is not paint, it colors the aluminum through chemical reaction. It works pretty well for touch up, if prep and application is done right.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I double checked it just now. There is some odor with Aluminum Black, but not as intense as cold blue and best I can recall it does not linger as long either.
    I appreciate the solid answer. I decided just not to and just deal with it. It adds character lol

Feedback Score
    Also works really well to clean up shiny spots, like after torqueing and staking a castle nut. Makes the job look "finished".

Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Cold blue is handy for sight blackening. Not good for eternity, but rarely was the original finish either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    Also works really well to clean up shiny spots, like after torqueing and staking a castle nut. Makes the job look "finished".
    I like the rust protection it gives but the smell is ****ing gnarly. I've yet to see AR15 steel components rust, maybe those Navy seal dudes have.

Feedback Score
    Left untreated, I've seen cold blue rust parts!

Quote Originally Posted by SHERWINVILLARETE View Post
    I like the rust protection it gives but the smell is ****ing gnarly. I've yet to see AR15 steel components rust, maybe those Navy seal dudes have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12