Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Aluminum Black smell like Cold Blue?

Feedback Score

Does Aluminum Black smell like Cold Blue?

Just a quick question guys, I want to restore the looks of a really beat up lower, I was wondering if Aluminum Black by Birchwood Casey smells like the cold blue for steel? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    A very odd question for sure, I can say most more than likely don't stick their noses in containers and sniff chemicals. Once applied as instructed, there would be no smell of course. Gloves and well ventilated work space.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    A very odd question for sure, I can say most more than likely don't stick their noses in containers and sniff chemicals. Once applied as instructed, there would be no smell of course. Gloves and well ventilated work space.
    Cold blue doesn't smell until it makes contact with steel from my experience. I never get that smell by just opening the cap. I wasn't sure if that's the same case and odor by using Aluminum Black.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHERWINVILLARETE View Post
    Just a quick question guys, I want to restore the looks of a really beat up lower, I was wondering if Aluminum Black by Birchwood Casey smells like the cold blue for steel? Thanks!
    I would highly recommend not sniffing either of them. They are both highly toxic. As for the "smell" I never noticed a difference.
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    I would highly recommend not sniffing either of them. They are both highly toxic. As for the "smell" I never noticed a difference.
    No doubt.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post

Thanks. The Cold Blue for steel smells bad and I cant stand it. Since they both smell the same, I'm just not gonna do it anymore.

Feedback Score

Does Aluminum Black smell like Cold Blue?

Aluminum black is pretty ineffective anyway. It tends to *rub* off.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
    NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHERWINVILLARETE View Post
    Using cold blue on an aluminum lower can best be described as trying to piss up a rope! Cold blue is for steel and it ain't very good for that either. Aluma Black is nothing more than expensive paint. If you cannot justify the cost of Cerakote an 8 dollar can of mat black Krylon is probably your best bet. BTW, WTF does smell have to do with anything?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I double checked it just now. There is some odor with Aluminum Black, but not as intense as cold blue and best I can recall it does not linger as long either.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Using cold blue on an aluminum lower can best be described as trying to piss up a rope! Cold blue is for steel and it ain't very good for that either. Aluma Black is nothing more than expensive paint. If you cannot justify the cost of Cerakote an 8 dollar can of mat black Krylon is probably your best bet. BTW, WTF does smell have to do with anything?
    What all have you tried Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black on?

Cold blue is handy for sight blackening. Not good for eternity, but rarely was the original finish either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast