Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Me An AR Boys!

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I’m done building guns. Unless it’s a specific purpose (night vision, SPR) that won’t let me find in a factory package what I need I will just buy a complete rifle.

And frankly, even though it seems as if I’m “trolling”, if I don’t need either of the two things mentioned above then a Colt 6920 suits me just perfectly.

Given that you say you already have a Colt, and you’re by your own admission not really into ARs I’d just buy something you like from a reputable manufacturer while prices are at all time lows.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This.

Most people who build end up replicating something easily bought

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have to agree. There are so many good factory complete options at your price point, I’d go with one of those. If you’re intent on a “build” per your definition, then I’d look to a BCM lower mated with a BCM upper of your choice.

While not the most sexy or “innovative” according to some here, I went through something similar not too long ago and went with a Colt SOCOM 14.5 pinned A2X upper and threw it on a complete Colt lower from Brownell’s when they were selling those. I really like it. And at the current price point I do believe the Colt CCU upper is a nice option too with a quality lower of your choice.

One thing I would not personally do is go the AR pistol route. Not hard to read the tea leaves in this current environment to expect that, like bump stocks, the AR pistol phenomena will be a ripe target for the “gotta do something” idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Or ladies... "building" an AR for me is mating a finished upper with a finished lower, so AR builder I'm not. The AR I want to have built would be general purpose for all things SD/HD/SHTF. It would be as short as legally possible (14.5" ?) but not an SBR. Accuracy "good enough for gubment work" and reliability and robust build the focus. It would be my primary AR, and my Colt 6490 the backup* and budget 1k-$1200 without optics.

Assuming that's enough info to go on, give me a list of what you'd build? It can be down to every part, or "buy X upper and mate with Y lower and be done" I don't care. I'm assuming that's enough $ to get a quality rifle built for that purpose.

What you got?

* What I was able to get in the People's Republic of MA that met the recs that was on hand at the shop during a trade in. I have no complaints, but also recognize it's limitations. Now in FL, I can get more or less what ever I want.
    I would get a Colt, LMT, Geissele, or BCM rifle with a 2-stage trigger and 14.5" barrel.

With a higher budget and if you're willing to live with non-standard parts - KAC.

GandR tactical has a number of Colt 14.5 pinned uppers.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Considering the direction Colt is going, is that really a good choice right now? I looked around on line and seemed Colt products costs sharply going up due to recent news. At least my short look around seemed like Colt uppers where more $ than I remembered. As I have a Colt, and things very fluid with that company currently, I don't think Colt is the best option. Correct me wrong as needed.
    I paid either $491 shipped from Brownells for that exact upper, then added in my Sionics NP3 BCG once I realized that it felt “perfect.” I find it the ideal balance. It has a slightly lighter profile, though not pencil like the 6720 (also a fine option, as you can get the “6720CK-NHG” and add a free float handguard for fairly cheap...but why, when the 6960 is already better?). It has a free-floated tube from a respected company. It cycles fine with an A5H2 buffer. It’s actually lighter than my BCM 12.5” Kino with an MI drop in MLOK handguard the way they are set up.
    I personally have the exact setup I suggested earlier, with the MARS-L lower (purchased stripped, personally, but would have purchased assembled if I weren’t a cheapskate). I put on a PST 1-6x optic, but reverted to a PST 1-4x to keep the light weight. Considering going back to a RDS, but... The LPVO adds some versatility, and I really want to get in the practice with it. I like this gun enough that I listed the 6920-OEM2 that I got recently for sale locally. There is nothing IMO that the 6920 can do that the 6960 cannot do at least equally well at a lighter weight, smoother recoil impulse (technically, I certainly am not good enough to honestly tell the difference between midlength and carbine gas), and an excellent OEM free-floated handguard. It’s a no-brainer for me.
    The SBR has house/car duty, if ever needed (Aimpoint, Surefire, SSA). The MARS 6960 would do anything else, particularly as I live next to a non-free state where the good training ranges are. I actually just picked up another SSA to replace the G2S I’ve had in the MARS; the G2S was noticeably not as nice as the SSA, to my disappointment.

Not trying to convince you, just sharing my thoughts on it. Regarding Colt’s current events... I don’t expect it to need servicing; that’s supposed to be the draw of a Colt, I believe. If it does have problems, I do have another AR if I had to wait for Colt to repair. The pricing on these uppers is probably fair at full price, though far more than I would be willing to pay. Hence my sharing the one on the EE.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    I run a 16 inch bcm stainless barrel on a bcm upper and lower with an alg trigger, magpul Ubr, with Midwest rail. Gun is super accurate, not overly heavy, you may can get that barrel in 14.5 not sure. But I run a 1-4 optic and have used the gun in indoor matches at 5 yards and less, plus two gun matches about to 500. This setup has been very versatile

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    This is my next and quite possibly my final upper. I'd get w/o a BCG and put a SIONICS Np3 BCG in it.

But for the lower I'd go with an A5.
    https://www.gandrtactical.com/BCM-Lo...ion_p_156.html
    I would think an A5 on a 14.5 middie would be really sensitive. Maybe not with that H0 buffer though. 14.5 middies are already usually pretty undergassed, although I think BCM opened up the gas ports when people were complaining trying to run Wolf ammo and stuff.

What muzzle device are you going with? I’ve been looking at that upper too but none of the options are super appealing to me. Maybe the Warcomp.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Option B (because closer to your budget): get a complete Sionics rifle, with the LW barrel and their 2-stage Schmid trigger. If I wasn't getting BCM stuff, I'd try Sionics next because I'm so impressed with their LPK, their trigger, and the feedback they have gotten from their LE contracts as well as their affiliation with IraqGuns prior to him passing away. I'm not sure if you could call them to customize this to a 14.5 with a pinned FH, someone else here might know or could call.
    Not sure if it is current policy or not but a couple of years ago I called and asked about perm-attaching a FH if I bought an upper and they did not do that service.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Since you already have a general purpose AR (6940), I’d go with a stainless barreled Recce or SPR. Centurion would be where I shopped if I wasn’t going to build. CLE would be an option also. The MARS lowers are nice, as mentioned earlier in the thread. A lightweight, precision, semi auto has its place.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Dude wants to build a AR, he already says he’s used to pinning a finished upper to a finished lower and just about 85% of the responses, if not more are to buy an BCM upper and blah blah blah, the rest becomes white noise BS because it’s the same ol’ shit every time a M4Cer asks questions about building an AR-15. It’s like y’all wait for someone to post something about building an AR and do your damn best to make BCM more money and discourage his idea. It’s pure bullshit. It’s vulture-like.

Will - have you spent any time in the Custom Build thread to see what guys who are not pinning BCM parts together are doing?
    I’m pretty sure you can get some good ideas there. I go there sometimes just to see what guys are doing and thinking up. Never know you might see something that inspires you!

Also have you considered using something like an SB Tactical adjustable brace like the SB3 or their PDW brace? That would allow you to run a 12.5 which with a good barrel and some skill you can get 600 yard hits consistently.

But if the 14.5 interests you I’ll make my recommendations that I’ve got a lot of rounds through, without any issues. I personally like the 14.5. It’s very maneuverable and you still get some decent MV. I have my BA 14.5 and a Noveske 14.5 that I found for an amazing deal. Both are very accurate, the Noveske however, edges out by a hair or two.

High Level
    Aero receiver set with a BA Hanson 14.5. It’s a very accurate setup and a very nice shooter. I’m going to answer this as if someone asked me to provide an AR built list for them. You probably have your favorite stock or grip, but I will still list the parts I use. Here’s are the details:

-Barrel: BA Hanson 14.5 (whatever muzzle device you want pinned (or use a brace). Granite Ridge Outdoors always has a great price and coupon on BA barrels. BA also does some decent sales and your mil discount if you have one still works.

- BCG: So if I’m building an SHTF end of the world as we know it rifle, I will without hesitation use an LMT BCG. If I’m building a short barrel AR, I will buy the LMT Enhanced carrier and pick up a Sionics bolt completion kit. That is a match made in heaven. No kidding. However, if your financial situation precludes that, I have got some significant round counts behind Toolcraft BCG’s. I like to buy from Arm or Ally (great place to buy parts) Toolcraft supplies mil contracts and also some of the popular brands on the market today. I don’t give rats ass about troll mark, I mean roll mark on my BCG, but I want a quality, well staked, mil spec metal BCG. Toolcraft is a great BCG. I've also use BA BCG's but don't know who makes them, hell it could be Toolcraft for all I know.

-Receiver set: Stripped Aero Precision (LPK/upper kits are not difficult to install). Shop around for the best deal. Primary Arms, Granite Ridge, Aero’s website.

- LPK: mil spec (less trigger and grip) I get my parts from DSG Arms.

- Trigger: LaRue MBT-2S for a two stage or an MBT-1S for a single stage. For the price you just can’t beat this trigger, unless you are another Geissele Kool-Aid drinker.

- Ambi selector switch:I use Radian or BAD-Ass, usually whenever one I can find on sale. I like them both, good purchase with your thumb and a good lever to shaft mounting system.

Charging handle: Radian LT. so far I’ve not encountered a single issue with this CH and it’s cheaper than the regular all-aluminum Radian. If you are going to use a can stay away from the BCM CH. it’s got a split or break right in the middle and will practically “squirt” gas in your face. It’s a horrible design.(I’ll be selling mine on arfcom soon.)

- Rail: LaRue 13.2” MLok. Any new build gets this rail. I am also swapping out my existing rails for this rail. I really like the feel, it’s solidly built and it has an excellent mounting system. Plus at $10 per inch it’s hard to beat!

- Buffer system: A5 tube, buffer, and spring. (This may need more discussion once you decide on a barrel, can or no can). Unless I have a stock that prevents me using an A5 RE tube, then I’m going to run a Vltor A5 or the Magpul SR25 RE tube, A5 buffer and rifle spring.

Stock Vltor eMod, Magpul SL-S, B5 SOPMOD-E, are all great stocks that won’t disappoint you. At least they haven’t disappointed me and yes I have. Beard. Lol

Grip: I like Hogue’s, but some guys like a more vertical grip like the B5, BCM or Magpuls that have less of a grip angle. I’ve ran a lot of rounds through in a day and have not experienced specific fatigue in my wrist or forearm with the Hogue.

- Foregrip: I like the BCM angled stubby or if I want a hand stop, the Naroh Arms handstop. It’s an amazing little handstop.

- WML:. Boy I’ve ran the gambit here...if you are going MLok the Arisaka takes the prize on the best light mount if you can find one. M300 at Ammunition Depot are usually $175 but his light mounts also work with a Streamlight Protac. I’ve been using the Protac for several years and it’s gotten beat up pretty good and it’s still awesome. Plus it’ll save you some coin.

- BUIS: Troy folding sights or Magpul Pros. Troys are the gold standard imo.

Optic: a good 1-6 or 1-8 LPVO in a LaRue CAN mount or an ADM Recon mount.

Also as I mentioned earlier if you aren’t opposed to using an SB3 or SBT PDW, (I have both and they are gtg from the shoulder) and you want to go shorter, then the 12.5 is a good barrel length. I have built three 12.5’s, all three using Daniel Defense CHF barrels oh and one 12” LaRue barrel which was also an outstanding barrel and I regret selling it to this day. One of my favorite SBR’s is my 12.5, it’s got an EOTech on it but eventually, the EOTech will go to my 10.3 and an LPVO on the DD 12.5.

Here’s the thing also. I’ve built fully functioning, great running AR’s with parts other than what I mentioned. But this list is my standard build list and are my preference. I’ve built close if not more than 30 AR’s at this point and I have never an issue with the parts I’ve listed. Have I used PSA lowers before or Anderson lowers or uppers? Yes I have and I had ZERO issues with those parts but by and large, my builds for others and for myself have been built on an Aero/BA foundation. I have never been disappointed with accuracy and on my guns, I’ve done some 500-700 round initial function tests they have never failed. When I introduce shit ammo (steel case) during my tests I may get an occasional crap round, primer strike no bang issue but that’s usually it.

Sorry for any typos. Hopefully, you can understand what I’m trying to communicate. I typed this all out on my phone so I have no doubt that I typed an “it” when I meant to type a “but” and “got” for a “for”, but hopefully it’s minimal.

Let me know if you have any questions. If you want to do a build list I’ve got the spreadsheets that you can plug your parts and price into and it will keep a running total.... URL’s etc.etc.

And remember...
    If you build it, (((they))) will come.
    :-)

Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 09-22-19 at 15:58.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast