Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is a drone with Hellfires considered adequate CAS these days?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Dedicated CAS is a luxury, not the norm. Unless it's a large, planned op going into an area of expected heavy resistance, CAS on station comes to you (and sometimes doesn't) when you need it.
    It is the norm in SOF.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I did area sercurity ops in 2013 around bagram. I worked solely at night because that was simply my teams shift, not because we where SOF. First, while a UAV has extended play time, its not as mobile or agile as the other air frames like F16, A10, or Kiowa. Like when you call for those, they come and come fast. A UAV doesnt even have a descernable prescence, where prescence of CAS alone is enough to tip the scales in a force on force scenario. Lastly, the UAV has to already be operating in your AO, but also have no pressing mission? That's the only time they would go out of their way to establish coms with a ground unit. It did happen, but it was very rare. Also talking on the radio to someone on the actual other side of the world, just isnt as comforting as talking to someone in the black with you. I guess if your boss was HRC you would be happy to get a UAV as CAS. Other wise, I would say No.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I remember when I was in Afghanistan as part of the last SFAAT team in Tarin-Qot we were going to the local chief of police’s house for dinner and my commander wanted me to request Apache support. We had the birds on base and I had received support on previous missions without any issue, the problem with this particular request was that the house we were going to was about 100 meters away from the front gate, literally you would leave the base, turn left on the road, drive down about 75 meters and turn right into his driveway/compound. When the request was denied, which I knew it would and said as such, I relayed the info, my commander asked why it was denied. I informed him that the closest three towers provide more than enough support and if we needed Apaches, they would have to take off and fly away from us in order to rear minimum distances for their weapons.

My one and only deployment as a JFO and never got into a TIC.

I had UAS support on a handful of missions, but they were all unarmed aircraft flying way the heck up there. Given all that, I did have the local CAG's freq loaded in my radio so in case things did go sideways, I knew they at least would answer the call and send lord knows what kind of help my way.
    Last edited by rero360; 09-24-19 at 17:25.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    One of the downsides of drones is that they are so quiet they can't be a deterrent. A loitering A-10 or a couple circling Harriers or F-18s can sometimes scare the pants off the booger eaters and prevent them from firing a shot. B-52s are too high, as are AC-130s. Drones are great for what they are, but they aren't built specific to CAS (which will change); right now, they are best used for targets of opportunity or specificity.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am not too informed about military drone technology. Especially how easily they may or may not be able to fly ad hoc support mission, and how much flight guidance is automated versus remote controlled. Is the technology capable of providing CAS if we had the right size and equipped drones?

It just seems that with our military size and overall capability that there SHOULD be no reason a unit is sent on patrol without at least one of mortar, artillery, armor, or CAS constantly at the ready. Drones seem tailor made for being able to provide support in much greater number than manned aircraft. And absolutely NOT at the expense of manned aircraft support. Drones would be for providing routine CAS while manned flights would be for the more complex or difficult engagements. Not as good as manned but lots better than nothing?
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It really comes down to what an army can afford versus risk. Great capability doesn't come free.

What's the sweet spot between gadgets and troops with rifles? Who takes it in the budget shorts? Choppers? A-10s? Infantry rifle and mortar slots? Cannoneers? Space defense? Cyber?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    It really comes down to what an army can afford versus risk. Great capability doesn't come free.

What's the sweet spot between gadgets and troops with rifles? Who takes it in the budget shorts? Choppers? A-10s? Infantry rifle and mortar slots? Cannoneers? Space defense? Cyber?
    Well SoF of course!

11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    One of the downsides of drones is that they are so quiet they can't be a deterrent. A loitering A-10 or a couple circling Harriers or F-18s can sometimes scare the pants off the booger eaters and prevent them from firing a shot. B-52s are too high, as are AC-130s. Drones are great for what they are, but they aren't built specific to CAS (which will change); right now, they are best used for targets of opportunity or specificity.
    How do you clear an Iranian bingo parlor? Yell, "B! B fifty two!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123