Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Cleaning 5.56 brass - tricks?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanic1990 View Post
    I am just getting back into reloading after being away from it for 20+ years. I had to start from scratch since I sold all of my reloading equipment years ago. One purchase that I already regret is getting an ultrasonic cleaner for the brass. I haven't tried the store bought solutions yet, but I tried the homemade mixture of water, white vinegar, Dawn dish soap, and table salt. I am pretty disappointed with the results so far. I am really thinking that the better solution would have been wet tumbling with stainless media.
    I have a cheapo chinese desktop US cleaner. Worthless.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    So I prepped at least 2500 5.56 cases today. I used a mix of suggestions to tumble the lube off.

I didn’t want to change too many variables at once so I would know what worked.

I used my current corn Cobb media (Dillon sold) and tumbled for 1 hr. I sprayed the Cobb with alcohol as Dillon and some here suggested.

The cases I spot checked had no “Cobb rocks” inside them that I could see.

I guess we’ll know for sure when I load them and the powder checker start going off. Lol

Thanks for all the tips. I’ll report back if there’s trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I stopped using corn cob media to tumble bottle neck cases. I use walnut media with a capful of Nu Finish car polish added for tumbling. About 1 hour will get the cases clean enough. I tumble first, then I decap, resize and trim cases.

I buy walnut shell reptile bedding at the pet store when I need more tumbling media. It's less expensive and works just as well as the walnut media I've purchased from vendors who sell reloading supplies.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2500 in a day? Now that’s impressive.

I’d like to hear about your setup!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by xdmikey View Post
    2500 in a day? Now that’s impressive.

I’d like to hear about your setup!
    No Joke. If I get 500 done in a day, that is massive.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    After resizing the cases I wash off the glycerin lube with Simple Green and hot water. I let the cases dry for a couple of days and when it appears they are good and dry I run them through the tumbler with walnut shell media. I put about 1/2 an ounce of Brasso in the walnut shells.

kwg

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    2500 cases in a day is a shit ton.

Not saying you should change but I wet tumble then put in an old food dehydrator. Best brass I have had an I did corn and walnut media previously.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567