Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning 5.56 brass - tricks?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Cleaning 5.56 brass - tricks?

For initial cleaning I usually use corn cob and it does well. My process is lube, “prep” (decamp, size/trim, etc), then tumble the lube off for 30m or so, then load whenever.

My issue is that I’ve had some bits of corn cob cling to lube inside some cases and turn into “rocks” in there.

Does anyone have any better ways to tumble the lube off that might be more complete. I didn’t have issue for a long time then it just started and it seemed like it was dustier than before too. Maybe it was that run of media idk.

I’m open to most things but probably not wet cleaning given time and expense.

Thanks!!
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    get some 20/40 grit corn cob https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-bla...40/i/G2165387/ it's small enough not to get stuck in the prmimer pocket holes...

edited to add... - that's an LC 5.56 case, not a 30mm cannon shell LOL

pic looks big

Last edited by derek45; 09-21-19 at 16:40.
    NRA Life Member
    USPSA-IPSC

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I’ll look into that. The flash holes aren’t the problem. It’s dust and granules getting stuck inside the cases with line and turning to concrete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    You’re likely not giving enough time for the polish to be agitated in the media before you add the brass. That’s the first thing I’d look at. And as always, stainless tumbling is far superior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    You’re likely not giving enough time for the polish to be agitated in the media before you add the brass. That’s the first thing I’d look at. And as always, stainless tumbling is far superior.

I’m not using polish.

Feedback Score
    What kind of lube are you using? Do you think the lube could be causing the collection? Have you considered just wiping the lube off? Or just leave it on?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    What kind of lube are you using? Do you think the lube could be causing the collection? Have you considered just wiping the lube off? Or just leave it on?

Dillon. Wiping is not an option; too many cases; too much time. I do case prep in multi-thousand batches.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I use One Shot spray lube. Then a brief session with rubbing alcohol and a paper towel gets 'em ready for priming and loading. No corncob necessary.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I use One Shot spray lube. Then a brief session with rubbing alcohol and a paper towel gets 'em ready for priming and loading. No corncob necessary.
    Yeah. I’ve stuck a case with that stuff. Not going there again.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have found that soaking the brass in a large plastic coffee can with dawn and lemi shine helps break down the carbon gunk. Agitate them a little bit to mix around. Then shake them out in a brass sorter while rinsing in the basement shower. Straight into the tumbler to dry with the corncob media. Come out nice and shiney. I spray some homemade lube in a large ziplock bag them drop in the brass and shake them around. Lanolin/alcohol mix. Works real well and no stuck cases. I look down inside them while they are in a 9mm 50 rd ammo box to make sure nothing is hiding inside before running them through my redding powder drop. Then off to the dillon 550 for bullet seat and crimp.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast