Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning 5.56 brass - tricks?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Ok. Maybe I wasn’t clear...

Here’s the deal. I’m not looking to change my process, change lubes or start wet cleaning. I don’t have time to sit and hand clean the lube off of 5k cases.

I’m asking what people tend to use to tumble lube of of cases.

Are there any better options or less dusty options short of wet cleaning?

Are there better sources for certain grades of corn cob that might be less of a dust issue?

Do people find that Cobb has a lifespan when it comes to lube removal vs just cleaning?

This is the direction I need to take things; all that other stuff is distraction and noise.

Thanks for understanding and insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I think the walnut media is less dusty. I put a tshirt over the opening, under the lid to try and catch some of the dust. Some people use old dryer sheets in with the tumbling to collect the dust. I don't bother with tumbling off the sizing lube. You could throw the finished rounds in a towel and rub quite a few around to get the sizing lube off. Corncob can be cleaned, saw it on a video by jerry miculek. I put it in a pillow case and wash it off with dawn soap. Then air dry.

You can wet clean without an expensive tumbler and stainless steel pins. Pet stores carry the corncob/walnut stuff for birdcage bottoms. Cheaper than gun store stuff.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I always preferred walnut over corn cob. You might try adding some mineral spirits to the mix which will help break down the lube.

Haven't tried Harbor Freight walnut, but the price seems decent.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...+walnut+shells

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    ...I’m asking what people tend to use to tumble lube of of cases. ....
    I get it

The 20/40 grit, I posted above is what I use to remove my homebrew Dillon style case lube ( lanolin + alcohol spray )

it works very well, and the giant bag lasts a long time, even with high volume reloading.
    NRA Life Member
    USPSA-IPSC

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have an ultrasonic now but did have a vibratory cleaner. I would save dryer sheets and place them into the cleaner, maybe two, pulled into thirds. It would keep the dust down and help clean the media and also absorb any wetness that may cause the clumping. I don't remember having that issue. I would also place a damp towel over the top to keep excess dust from collecting. IIRC I used Frankford Arsenal media, may have been walnut? Oh-and used Nufinish car wax, dumped a cap or two into the mix prior to adding the cases so it could blend.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I add a capful of Nufinish car wax to the corncob media when it gets dusty. Not sure how many cycles I get out of each capful. I also use Dillon case lube and don't have a problem with the media sticking like you describe.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    This was what I was looking for!! Thanks y’all!!

"An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    I get it

The 20/40 grit, I posted above is what I use to remove my homebrew Dillon style case lube ( lanolin + alcohol spray )

it works very well, and the giant bag lasts a long time, even with high volume reloading.
    Dillon suggested adding alcohol but it I’m thinking mineral spirits would not evaporate as fast. I’ll check into that grit too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    Dillon suggested adding alcohol but it I’m thinking mineral spirits would not evaporate as fast. I’ll check into that grit too.

The alcohol I use is part of my home made case lube, alcohol and lanolin...same thing as Dillon, but cheaper.

I tumble the lube off with dry 20/40grit corncob.
    NRA Life Member
    USPSA-IPSC

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    The alcohol I use is part of my home made case lube, alcohol and lanolin...same thing as Dillon, but cheaper.

I tumble the lube off with dry 20/40grit corncob.
    Ok. I use dry Cobb as well. Dillon has recommended adding alcohol to the media to help break down the lube.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast