Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning 5.56 brass - tricks?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The other thing you could do is throw all the sized but still lubed cases in a Tupperware, spray with some brake cleaner, and shake. Empty out the brake cleaner and spread the cases out to dry.

They will be 100% lube free. And brake cleaner is cheap. This is very fast as well.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mic2377 View Post
    The other thing you could do is throw all the sized but still lubed cases in a Tupperware, spray with some brake cleaner, and shake. Empty out the brake cleaner and spread the cases out to dry.

They will be 100% lube free. And brake cleaner is cheap. This is very fast as well.
    Point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    Brake clean will eat the tupperware i know from experience. Use something metallic.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Depends on the Tupperware. Actually the cheap pseudo-disposable Tupperware stuff is surprisingly resistant, and brake cleaner evaporates very quickly, so you can get away with it for awhile before the container breaks down.

Just give it a shot between the disposable Tupperware and a can of brake cleaner it is a $4 experiment in total.

FWIW I don't have a tumbler and have used this method for thousands upon thousands of cases.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    ... save dryer sheets and place them into the cleaner, maybe two, pulled into thirds. It would keep the dust down... I would also place a damp towel over the top to keep excess dust from collecting.
    This... My wife doesn't use dryer sheets, so years ago I bought a box of generic unscented dryer sheets.

I drape an old t-shirt over my tumbler, too.

And a bit of Dillon case polish helps keep the dust down and seems to make the cases a bit "slick," in a good way.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    This... My wife doesn't use dryer sheets, so years ago I bought a box of generic unscented dryer sheets.
    You don’t want your rounds smelling all spring fresh and shit? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    You don’t want your rounds smelling all spring fresh and shit?
    Can't stand that stink...

Brownells or Caldwell or somebody should invent dryer sheets that smell like Hoppes 9!

Feedback Score
    I throw some of this into whatever media i have in the tumbler

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Dia...-crafts&sr=1-5

Light enough to mix in, gets in the cases and knocks everything loose, the rounds will most likely sink to the bottom but the diagonals will mix in..

Feedback Score
    You linked to all diagonals...

Did you mean this?

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Tum...PHQM7M3A535P8Q

Given how much heavier steel is than corn cob or walnut shell, don't you just wind up with all the steel at the bottom of the tumber?

Feedback Score
    Less pins more diagonal/round I'm about to order just have to sort through all the options can't remember exact item. Yes they will sink to to bottom but so will the brass and pick up some of the stainless, I just toss in a handful it also helps break up any polish clumps if you go that route.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast