Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning 5.56 brass - tricks?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Can't stand that stink...

Brownells or Caldwell or somebody should invent dryer sheets that smell like Hoppes 9!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This is odd. Is your vibratory tumbler getting the media moving fast enough? Are you using Walnut? (I run the pet store lizard stuff)

Are you putting too much lube on perhaps? I run Dillon lube and tumble off with no issue for 45-60 minutes. Never any clumping in the brass.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This is odd. Is your vibratory tumbler getting the media moving fast enough? Are you using Walnut? (I run the pet store lizard stuff)

Are you putting too much lube on perhaps? I run Dillon lube and tumble off with no issue for 45-60 minutes. Never any clumping in the brass.
    So I’m using the big Dillon tumbler with Cobb as stated above. I usually tumble the lube off for 30m or so. You think that may be too short?

I use a P/W auto drive on a 1050 as a dedicated machine to do nothing but case prep. I wouldn’t say to use too much lube (you can never use too much lube ) but I dump them into the bowl and spray then rake them around and spray again then run the feeder. I don’t feel like the machine is that gummed up or anything.

"An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd bump it up to a full hour to see if that helps. 30 min in my vibratory is borderline for lube removal.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Walnut media from Harbor Freight works awesome in my experience, far less dusty than corncob.

Let the cases tumble longer too, I rarely go under 90 minutes.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bb223 View Post
    Let the cases tumble longer too, I rarely go under 90 minutes.
    90m for lube removal? How long do you let them go for cleaning?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'd bump it up to a full hour to see if that helps. 30 min in my vibratory is borderline for lube removal.
    Gotcha.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    30 minutes is the minimum amount i run it to dry the brass after wet tumbling.... even for drying that's a short run. I bet an hour cures your issues.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    30 minutes is the minimum amount i run it to dry the brass after wet tumbling.... even for drying that's a short run. I bet an hour cures your issues.
    Copy that. I’ll give it a try and report back. Thanks for all the suggestions and especially taking in the direction I needed it to go!!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced another 30 min will do it. When I'm tumbling off wet brass, I get some primer pocket clumps if I try to short run the tumbler for 30 min.... and that's only water.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast