Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning 5.56 brass - tricks?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    For me, it's not about the brass going in the gun... rather working the brass through the dies and steps. I don't care about super shiney (although that's nice when you can get it), I just don't like working with brass that's not nice and clean.

Clean brass on bigger calibers also helps me to see the oxidation iris form when I anneal it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    For me, it's not about the brass going in the gun... rather working the brass through the dies and steps. I don't care about super shiney (although that's nice when you can get it), I just don't like working with brass that's not nice and clean.

Clean brass on bigger calibers also helps me to see the oxidation iris form when I anneal it.
    Keeping the dies clean and in good working order are really the only reasons.

Markm, if you’re annealing then you’ve really gone into the weeds. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    Markm, if you’re annealing then you’ve really gone into the weeds. Lol.
    Just for 300WM and .308. Maybe 50 pieces per week on average.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    I hear ya guys,and you would be surprised at how good the mix works ! My brass is clean for sure,but then just not primer pocket shinny and a bunch of extra steps clean. When the media is new its like maybe 45 min for 9mm or any pistol stuff and its looking great,I have not done much 223 stuff lately but just put together a new AR so will be shooting it soon,I'll get back at ya after I run some brass through it.

Feedback Score
    I don’t care if my brass is shiny or not. But wet tumbling ensures that there is no debris inside, primer pockets are free of carbon, and that there are not issues with the brass which I can’t see that may cause bras failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I think it took me about 30 minutes to get it to this point. I will let the brass dry overnight. I don't want all the range trash in my corn cob media. I think I have been using the same corn cob since 2008 and it still looks good. I don't use it that often, though.

I feel like washing in Lemishine first cuts down the time needed for the corncob tumble. Either way, I have fun.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I’ll try more time in the tumbler this time. I had to replace all my brass because I was a dumbass and accepted a ton of brass from a distant relative tha the dickhead had trimmed the necks wayyyy too short on. Of course I poured them in with my brass so I just recycled them for scrap and started over. Will report back once I have my first run done. Thanks for all the suggestions.

And whatever you do, don’t take free brass. Lol. Or at least don’t mix them until they prove out. Lol.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Wow. Trimming brass a little long is annoying enough. Trimming it TOO short is stupid as hell.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Wow. Trimming brass a little long is annoying enough. Trimming it TOO short is stupid as hell.
    Like so short it wouldn’t even come close to crimping. Honestly, if you set your does to a little short it’s cool but mine are set to lead the correct 1.750. Lol. Plus it didn’t help that I found live round in the mix too. That really jams an auto driven 1050.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    I am just getting back into reloading after being away from it for 20+ years. I had to start from scratch since I sold all of my reloading equipment years ago. One purchase that I already regret is getting an ultrasonic cleaner for the brass. I haven't tried the store bought solutions yet, but I tried the homemade mixture of water, white vinegar, Dawn dish soap, and table salt. I am pretty disappointed with the results so far. I am really thinking that the better solution would have been wet tumbling with stainless media.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast