Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best places to save weight without sacrificing reliability

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    I was thinking about this recently when I finished assembling my new rifle, here. Was not trying to build the lightest rifle possible, but it occurred to me after I selected lighter weight barrel, handguard, and buttstock, how many other places could I really have gotten very much weight savings without compromising reliability? Like to hear what others have learned.
    I've learned that there's not really significant savings outside of what you've mentioned without running headlong into diminishing returns ($$$ and function/reliability). Build a SBR or pistol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    Oh, and you COULD go to a LW action system but you really need to get the gas and ammo dialed in. Again, how much ROI are you looking for? Full-sized carbine, sub 6lbs for $2200-ish+?
    Nope--done with the linked rifle just built, 6 lbs was good enough and didn't require compromises. But interested in discussing what additional lightening options exist, if any, without compromising reliability.

Feedback Score
    Cool. I must of missed the link.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Nope--done with the linked rifle just built, 6 lbs was good enough and didn't require compromises. But interested in discussing what additional lightening options exist, if any, without compromising reliability.

Feedback Score
    The barrel, gas block, flash hider, furniture, and barrel nut are the 'lowest hanging fruit' for weight loss without affecting operation of the weapon. Lightweight ARs are a process of diminishing returns; the lighter you go, the harder it is to save weight, the more it costs, and the more problems you have to work around. It's kind of fun, though.

Tax stamps are a good way to save weight, as well, and are in line with the 'light costs money' philosophy of a lightweight build. The cost/weight benefit of a tax stamp is probably cheaper than titanium and aluminum parts when you're looking for the last few grams of weight loss.

Steel weighs a lot more than aluminum; many steel parts can be swapped for a decent return on weight loss (end plate is a good example, also selector levers) without eroding reliability. At some point, chasing weight loss, the bolt carrier gets lighter, and that's when compromises are made. When the reciprocating mass is lightened, gas needs to be throttled down. When done right, the gun is reliable.
    Last edited by eodinert; 09-24-19 at 06:42.

Feedback Score
    I took off my prism scope and mount and saved a pound. Actually, I got sick of them anyway and went back to irons so it had nothing to do (or very little) with weight. My light handguard was a failure as it overheated. I don't want a lighter barrel. Anyone every use the forward assist? Maybe that could be removed without reliability cost in a new build?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    That's going to be the result of making a much lighter gun anyway. Might as well go all out.
    Going with a lighter firearm increases free recoil. Going with a lighter buffer means sharper felt recoil. A lighter buffer can give your AR sharper recoil without increasing or decreasing the free recoil.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123