Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best places to save weight without sacrificing reliability

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    Lightest buffer that the gun will operate and cycle reliably?
    Only if you want sharper recoil.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Shorter barrel and rail saves weight without affecting reliability. I don't know if the velocity loss from 16" to 14.5" would matter to you.

You can go too far, of course - my lightest AR is a pistol with a 11.3" barrel and 10" ALG rail (no optics, no light, no FA or port door and KAK blade stock). It has a "full auto" BCG and H2 buffer. It's reliable and under 6 lbs unloaded.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-22-19 at 11:01.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    20 round mags instead of 30?
    I'm fine with 20 in a house gun. Less bulk. If I need more than that I'll probably be the loser.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Only if you want sharper recoil.
    That's going to be the result of making a much lighter gun anyway. Might as well go all out.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    my lightest AR is a pistol with a 11.3" barrel and 10" ALG rail (no optics, no light, no FA or port door and KAK blade stock). It has a "full auto" BCG and H2 buffer. It's reliable and under 6 lbs unloaded.
    I did similar, but found that KAK brutal on the chest in a two day carbine class. Switched to the SBA3 with A5H2. Golden.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That's going to be the result of making a much lighter gun anyway. Might as well go all out.
    You are also decreasing reliability.

You generally want to avoid removing reciprocal mass from the operating parts and skeletonizing receivers which compromise structural integrity in case of a kaboom.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Barrel.

I just threw together a 16 lightweight profile Sionics with a 13 KMR with BCM furniture and it was 6lb 4oz. Nice gun and super handy.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    You are also decreasing reliability.

You generally want to avoid removing reciprocal mass from the operating parts
    That is my understanding as well, and why I played it safe and avoided messing with the BCG or my standard A5/A5H2 setup that I do in all my rifles.

Feedback Score
    Thread responses really touched on almost everything. You could start throwing money at Ti parts, but I don't think it's worth it. A Micro RDS in a lightweight mount is going to save you some weight unless having just fixed irons is your thing (no carry handle). Forgoing BUIS will also save on weight. Lights and lasers are going to add up quick. Keep all spare parts and batteries out/off the gun.

Feedback Score
    Oh, and you COULD go to a LW action system but you really need to get the gas and ammo dialed in. Again, how much ROI are you looking for? Full-sized carbine, sub 6lbs for $2200-ish+?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast