Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: First Impressions: Colt AR6951 9mm Carbine

Feedback Score
    Currently run two of these for HD. Put on Larue 7 inch handgaurds, Surefire's, and H1's. Love the fact that they are relatively comfortable to shoot in enclosed areas with 115gr delivering a very modest muzzle report.

Feedback Score
    Well stated. ^^^
    I don't routinely keep mine out and loaded; much easier to stash a handgun in a lockbox. That said, if the world was turning to crap, it would be a good choice.
    If you can find a way to cut it to it's buzz-gun length (10.5"), it becomes bunches easier to handle. This means going NFA, or perhaps fitting some sort of 'brace'.
    I have only had one misfeed, and that happened to be with a hollowpoint.
    Mine has run 100% with my 1140'sec/115 gr reloads (they clock faster in the carbine; I'll need to look it up).
    They always were kind of unicorns, but Colts' new policy will really make them of unobtanium. Sigh.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    Well stated. ^^^
    I don't routinely keep mine out and loaded; much easier to stash a handgun in a lockbox. That said, if the world was turning to crap, it would be a good choice.
    If you can find a way to cut it to it's buzz-gun length (10.5"), it becomes bunches easier to handle. This means going NFA, or perhaps fitting some sort of 'brace'.
    I have only had one misfeed, and that happened to be with a hollowpoint.
    Mine has run 100% with my 1140'sec/115 gr reloads (they clock faster in the carbine; I'll need to look it up).
    They always were kind of unicorns, but Colts' new policy will really make them of unobtanium. Sigh.
    Moon
    Just make a pistol out of one. Get a pistol lower with a. Colt 10.5 upper. The uppers are out there.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    Just make a pistol out of one. Get a pistol lower with a. Colt 10.5 upper. The uppers are out there.
    As long as you can fit a "brace", a bare pistol looks badass, but it's hard to hit a barn from the inside with one.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    I have an older fixed carry handle 10.5’ 9mm carbine, love that little gun, real handy, light and a ton of fun, shoots cheap ammo too.

Feedback Score
    That's the twin of mine; really a great little gun.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Right now gunmagwarehouse.com has the Metalform 32 round magazine for $23.99.

They have that same Metalform mag with the Colt baseplate for $50.99. Ouch!

Those 10.5s are very cool. The ultimate indoor AR home defense gun.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 11-08-19 at 21:39.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Today we took the AR6951 and a Colt 6920 to the range for comparison.

Both rifles weigh within a few ounces. The 6920 weighs about .7 pounds more.
    The AR-9's heavier bolt is balanced against the pencil barrel, which is lighter than the M4 government profile

I and another shooter compared them subjectively. The AR-9 was fired using Q4318 NATO 124 grain, and the M4 with American Eagle 55 grain 5.56.

We both thought the 9mm showed just a bit more felt recoil. Both are very lightly recoiling guns. The M4 has an immediate bump and then the action cycles. The Ar-9 seems to have a longer cycle that raises the muzzle a hair more.

This is like arguing over nothing. Neither kicks enough to talk about. But they do have a different feel.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 12-23-19 at 23:21.

Feedback Score
    Nice eval; never run them side by side, but your conclusions seem valid.
    Thanks,
    Moon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Also: I got a few 20 round Metalform magazines just for the hell of it. They work 100% just like the 32s do. There's also a 10 round Metalform, but I won't bother.

Overall: If the __________ [fill in your city] Riots are happening out in the street, I'd prefer the M4. But inside the house, I'd go for a pistol caliber carbine.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 12-26-19 at 21:41.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast