Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: First Impressions: Colt AR6951 9mm Carbine

Feedback Score
    Uni, personally prefer the 20 round mags for their relative lightness and compact size.
    It's easy to take a really great carbine for granted after some years of ownership.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    I have to echo many of the observations above. I have both a 6450 (from 1995) and a 6951 I picked up a few years ago. Both love the Winchester 124g NATO. The round is among the dirtiest I've encountered, but in these blowback rifles it doesn't matter: I usually clean them after every range session or at least once a month. I use the synthetic safe Gun Scrubber but am interested in hearing more about non-chlorinated brake cleaner at a fraction of the cost. Are these products the same chemically?

The 6450 has a pretty high round count so I don't shoot it that often any more, but it's still accurate and all parts still original. My 6951 had a defective bolt catch, a simple fix, but I made the mistake of trying to go through the warranty to have Colt fix it. After they had the gun for two months, I asked that it be sent back and replaced it myself in two minutes. After that I put a Magpul fore end on it to aid in a more muzzle forward support hand grip for competition (I used to use it for Steel Challenge). Right now my primary PCC is a CZ Scorpion but I bring the 6951 along just in case I need the backup gun, or someone else does.

Fine rifles. Recoil is there from the heavy bolt, but that's the nature of blowback mechanisms.

Hello from Maryland, by the way...

Feedback Score
    Boss', I'm a Scorp fan as well; no where near as elegant as the Colt, but it works, and becomes amazingly compact with the folding buttstock.
    The AR bolstop (and trigger guard) can be treacherous to replace, so I'm glad you got it changed without drama.
    I've gone to a Geissele trigger in mine.
    BTW, any idea what the standard buffer weighs, and have you considered replacing it with a heavier one?
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    Boss', I'm a Scorp fan as well; no where near as elegant as the Colt, but it works, and becomes amazingly compact with the folding buttstock.
    The AR bolstop (and trigger guard) can be treacherous to replace, so I'm glad you got it changed without drama.
    I've gone to a Geissele trigger in mine.
    BTW, any idea what the standard buffer weighs, and have you considered replacing it with a heavier one?
    Moon
    I have not weighed my particular buffer but I'm cleaning the gun tomorrow and will get it on my scale. As for replacing it, other than 147g hollowpoints, everything has cycled through it flawlessly. I do have a Kak buffer that can be increased or decreased in weight, but that's for a 9mm AR build I can't seem to get motivated to build yet.

It's just a great gun. The CZ is too, and I just run it because it's a lot of fun. At non sanctioned events I run the Scorpion pistol with a brace as it's slightly easier to bring around and get on target...

Scorpion, 6951, 6450 with Magpul fore end (look at that front take down pin)
    IMG_20200103_141312.jpg

Feedback Score
    Can't get close enough to see the takedown; what do you have?
    My Scorp has the 8" bbl; it was originally a pistol, and this was before braces were kosher, so I tax stamped it.
    Ever consider SBR'ing any of those? Neat collection!
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    Moon
    Here you go...

Feedback Score
    Thanks, boss'. My scale won't go that high.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    I plan on ordering one of the AR 6951 Carbines very soon. I want to order some 32-round Metalform magazines for the piece si that it can be used as an HD Carbine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain O View Post
    I plan on ordering one of the AR 6951 Carbines very soon. I want to order some 32-round Metalform magazines for the piece si that it can be used as an HD Carbine.
    You will love it. Such a cool gun.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    You will love it. Such a cool gun.
    I work in the Sales Department for a "high end" Security company. When I'm not using my .30 Carbine, the Colt AR 6951 will perform in a "stand-by" position, ready at a moment's notice.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast