Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does a SIG 556 have a treated barrel?

Feedback Score

Does a SIG 556 have a treated barrel?

Like Melonite/SBN/nitride, etc.? I see where it has a CHF barrel but is the barrel treated? I know it's not chrome lined.

I am not a fan of nitride treatments, but this is the way I see it: chrome > nitride > untreated.

My buddy got one in a trade and I was contemplating a trade with him for it. I don't need it, but I'm AR'd out. Another thing that is bothersome is that SIG has dropped that product line and doesn't make replacement parts for it anymore.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The 556 barrels were nitrided. As are all Swiss 55x barrels. They are both very durable barrels.

Whether it’s a worthwhile trade depends on what you’re trading. More details as to which model of 556 would help. And unless you’re getting a steal (like $800 or less), I would probably pass without knowing more details.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 09-22-19 at 18:48.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    The 556 barrels were nitrided. As are all Swiss 55x barrels. They are both very durable barrels.

Whether it’s a worthwhile trade depends on what you’re trading. More details as to which model of 556 would help. And unless you’re getting a steal (like $800 or less), I would probably pass without knowing more details.
    It has a side-folder stock, short "carbine length" polymer handguards, and a 16" barrel (sticks out a long ways, like the 6920 does in front of the gas block. Wish it had a longer HG).
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That’s the patrol. I’d pass unless it’s really cheap.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Does a SIG 556 have a treated barrel?

If you don’t like it you could probably come out OK parting it out. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Pachucko; 09-29-19 at 19:59.

Feedback Score
    That’s the patrol. I’d pass unless it’s really cheap.
    What he said,

Sadly, a dozen years ago or so I went all in with a stamp confusing the name and nomenclature thinking I was getting a SIG 55x quality fun that took AR mags.

Think of it as being to a SIG 55x as a Mustang II is to a real Mustang.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score

Whether CHF or button rifled? Both barrel types are treated?

He traded a fellow retired SF military guy he knew his Kel Tec 12 gauge KSG for the SIG, because his buddy wanted the shotgun. My buddy told me he valued the trade at about $800. Said the SIG had 50rds through it, and once he took it apart and cleaned it up he thought that was an accurate round count.

If I traded him something it would likely be another AR. I have a couple M14 clones and one AK left, none of which are going on the trading block.

I don't NEED it. Wish it had the longer handguard. Based on what you've said I'll probably let the matter drop, but I was curious if both types of barrels were treated. Funny, NONE of the old ads I see for the SIG 556 Patrol (or others for that matter) mention any barrel treatment. Not doubting you at all, just musing that SIG apparently didn't have much interest in advertising it.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Whether CHF or button rifled? Both barrel types are treated?

He traded a fellow retired SF military guy he knew his Kel Tec 12 gauge KSG for the SIG, because his buddy wanted the shotgun. My buddy told me he valued the trade at about $800. Said the SIG had 50rds through it, and once he took it apart and cleaned it up he thought that was an accurate round count.

If I traded him something it would likely be another AR. I have a couple M14 clones and one AK left, none of which are going on the trading block.

I don't NEED it. Wish it had the longer handguard. Based on what you've said I'll probably let the matter drop, but I was curious if both types of barrels were treated. Funny, NONE of the old ads I see for the SIG 556 Patrol (or others for that matter) mention any barrel treatment. Not doubting you at all, just musing that SIG apparently didn't have much interest in advertising it.
    Early guns had chf barrels. They switched to traditional rifling at some point. Not positive re: nitriding of the traditionally rifled barrels. I was long over the Exeter facsimiles by the time they released guns that lacked chf barrels. The early chf barrels were definitely nitrided. And the very earliest were made by FN with a tapered bore profile.

Feedback Score
    Take a look at the lower from the right side. If it has the lower with the magazine release moved towards the rear, I'd buy it for $800 if I was you. See the picture below. The "Classic" has the mag release that's more towards the muzzle while the SBR has the mag release that's more towards the buttstock. The US guns are not up to Swiss standards, but many do run flawlessly. They are generally over gassed, but so are their Swiss cousins and that can be fixed. They are also heavy like their Swiss cousins, but the "Patrol" model isn't so bad because there's less weight up front.

Feedback Score
    Below are some closer up pictures to illustrate the difference between the two Sig USA lowers. I'd called them second and third generation lowers. ramairthree has what I'd call a 1st generation lower pictured above. There's a chance that there are other variations, but I'm not aware of them if there are. The first picture is me gripping the Sig556 Classic rifle lower. The second and third pictures are of me gripping the Sig556 Classic SBR lower. I ordered this SBR from Sig and had to wait over a year for it to be delivered to my dealer. It was delivered right before they stopped production. I'm speculating, but it's likely that there are rifles that also have this lower and it's likely that there are SBR's that have the 2nd generation lower.

As you can see, the magazine release of the 3rd generation lower can be pressed without shifting the grip, but the magazine release of the 2nd generation lower can't be reached without shifting the grip.
    Last edited by Bret; 09-27-19 at 21:35.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast