Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Senate Majority Leader HarryReid's Record on 2nd Amendment Issues.

Feedback Score

Lightbulb Senate Majority Leader HarryReid's Record on 2nd Amendment Issues.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid seems to have a decent ( not great , just OK)
    voting record on gun issues.
    He voted for the "protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (to stop BS lawsuits), voted against the AWB , for the "Brady Bill " ( NCIS ,IMO no big deal ) ,
    and for NCIS at gun shows (IMO-- not a mortal sin).

www.wiki.com

www.answers.com.

Reid is being lumped together with some serious gun-grabbers like Mr. Obama and Rep. Pelosi in at least one posting here and several on other gun forums.
    He may not be the Second Amendment's hardest charger in Congress , but IMO he is a very valuable asset -- a huge improvement over Tom Daschle , the previous Senate Majority Leader.

Fratricide isn't helpful.
    YMMV.

Feedback Score
    I work with a grass roots 2nd A group here in Colorado, I've learned a few things.

You treat a pro 2nd A democrat well, you sure don't lump him/her in with the rest on gun control. They have a very difficult time bucking their party leadership. It means they miss out on cherry positions can committees.

Letting you know you appreciate them supporting the 2nd A goes a long ways.

Feedback Score
    He's a Democrat in charge of one of the houses of Congress. The pressure on him to support the party machine will be enormous. Do you think he is made of the kind of stuff that would cause him to stand up to his new "messianic" President, and the House of Representatives, and be the reason they aren't accomplishing their objectives? It's one thing to pay attention to his constituents back home to make sure he stays in office. It's another thing altogether to become a patriot and traitor to the Democrat cause. If he did I'd certainly be impressed. I'm not betting my future on it.

This wasn't an indictment of Harry Reid. Just my prediction of events to come.

Feedback Score
    Did he sign the Senate Amicus brief in support of Heller?
    Honest question. I don't know the answer. Over half of the Senate signed it.

How is he answering the people of his state , now, when they ask about a possible AWB?
    I have not seen a hard copy.

Feedback Score
    Dont be foolish!!! For money and power a Politican would sell you out in a heartbeat.. Hell Id put a cnote on it that most politicans especialy democraps would sell there mother's and firstborn into slavery for a little power and or money.
    When it comes to power and Obama's ajenda they dont give a damn about the 2nd or gun owners..... Lets face it most of the far left Politicans can not be beaten because they live in far left places..... A fine example is John Murtha he did everthing from saying the troops fighting for us were cold blodded baby killers all the way from saying the people in his distric were racict rednecks and uneducated and still won...... Ted Kennedy I wont go on with what all he has done... So basicly politicans like that can do whatever they want. Meanwhile those morons keep [pulling the lever ever few years for the same assholes.
    Last edited by sandpacker21; 11-15-08 at 09:04.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpacker21 View Post
    Dont be foolish!!! For money and power a Politican would sell you out in a heartbeat.. Hell Id put a cnote on it that most politicans especialy democraps would sell there mother's and firstborn into slavery for a little power and or money.
    When it comes to power and Obama's ajenda they dont give a damn about the 2nd or gun owners..... Lets face it most of the far left Politicans can not be beaten because they live in far left places..... A fine example is John Murtha he did everthing from saying the troops fighting for us were cold blodded baby killers all the way from saying the people in his distric were racict rednecks and uneducated and still won...... Ted Kennedy I wont go on with what all he has done... So basicly politicans like that can do whatever they want. Meanwhile those morons keep [pulling the lever ever few years for the same assholes.
    You got proof or are you just blowing smoke? The original post's point is that we shouldn't be so quick to vilify congresscritters because they might, just might, have a half-decent voting history. BlueForce does have a point that because of his position party pressure is extremely high. Whenever he bucks the party line I'll admit that I feel a little bit better, even for trivial issues.

-B
    Last edited by BAC; 11-15-08 at 10:32.
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thomas S Foley (D) was the speaker of the house when the last AWB passed. He was the rep. of the 5th district of Washington. This is where I live. He was vary pro gun and received an A+ rating from the NRA. He is also the reason the AWB passed in the House.

When the last AWB bill was being voted on time had expired. Normally the Speaker will end the voting and the bill either passes of fails. However the Dems were a few votes short. Mr. Foley kept voting open for about ten more minuets. This aloud them time to strong arm a few fence sitters into voting for it.

Here is a case of a A+ NRA rated politician single-handedly passing major anti gun legislation. And he didn’t even vote.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Dont be foolish!!! For money and power a Politican would sell you out in a heartbeat..
    Airborne brother.

Feedback Score
    I was just reading a story about the NRA in the NY Times. They referred to them, as the media always does, as the "Gun Lobby". I have heard them called the "Gun Lobby" about all my adult life. This time it really ticked me off permanently. The NRA is in REALITY a "grass roots" organization, right? But in leftist terms grass roots is good, lobby is bad, so we get called a lobby.

"Lobby" is usually a term, mind you, used to describe an organization paid by a large corporation or industry to gain favorable influence for them in Washington. (Which is capitalist in its intent and therefore "bad" to leftists.) So which huge powerful gun industry influence is driving the NRA? Frankly, there isn't any real money in guns anymore. When Smith & Wesson -- one of the oldest and largest gun manufacturers in the U.S. -- changed hands in 2001, it sold for $15M! For crying out loud, some of us on this board could have gotten together and bought it.

The NRA is powerful because 4 million members send them $35 and year. That's a lot of grass roots. Not many can match it. When is the last time you heard the NEA called the powerful "teacher lobby". Or the AARP, the powerful "old persons lobby". Give me a break. We need to beat them down every time they use that word. At the same time we need to start using it to describe all of THEIR favorite non-profits.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Thomas S Foley (D) was the speaker of the house when the last AWB passed. He was the rep. of the 5th district of Washington. This is where I live. He was vary pro gun and received an A+ rating from the NRA. He is also the reason the AWB passed in the House.

When the last AWB bill was being voted on time had expired. Normally the Speaker will end the voting and the bill either passes of fails. However the Dems were a few votes short. Mr. Foley kept voting open for about ten more minuets. This aloud them time to strong arm a few fence sitters into voting for it.

Here is a case of a A+ NRA rated politician single-handedly passing major anti gun legislation. And he didn’t even vote.
    And he lost his seat in the House because of it. Due to the De-Foley-Ate Congress effort which started in a mail list I used to run called ROC (Restore Our Constitution).

As an aside here is what happened in a paragraph:

There was an in-district spearhead person and a behind the scenes person in Texas (Jim Bohan RIP) who managed it all (Jim got written up in Forbes I believe for his work on this and other stuff like AR gov). This De-Foley-Ate Congress effort got enough publicity that out of state interests like the NRA and Term Limits groups poured money into the race. The in-state Df8 guy got on the G-Man's (Liddy) radio show and the money started pouring in to their coffers and then the out of staters came in. Foley lost his House seat solely to the AWB.

Gun owners need to be pissed off and are generally reactionary and not proactive in their voting. The reason gun owners did not stop Obama is because guns were not an issue in this election. Obama mentioned them a few times in some speeches to his fan clubs and it was on his web site, but it was not an issue in the election -- other bigger stuff was.

Obama will find out that guns speak in elections when he tries to pass another AWB. I hope he realizes this and this is why I personally think he will wait until after the 2010 elections.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast